• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knock Outs

I don't do alignments on that style front end (most of our stuff is straight axle) but from what I recall, the "knockouts" are in the frame. From the factory, the holes in the frame for upper control arm bolts are are all located the same. When an alignment is performed, IF NEEDED, the frame holes need to be knocked out so the upper control arm bolts and cams can turn to adjust caster or camber if needed. If I recall they are presheared to a point so they can be removed fairly easily with an air chisel or a hammer and chisel. (There is also a tool made for the procedure if you want to do it the approved way)

If they are already knocked out, (once knocked out they are not replacable) if the upper control arm bolts are loosened or move, the front end will need realignment.

The knock outs are installed at the factory on the upper control arms. They punch out with a chiesel or punch and then open up the slot so camber & caster can be adjusted. Good Luck

I know of these from an experience with a G.M. Used to have to chisel them out, but now I think on newer models they have a plastic plug in them (I could be wrong). If I remember correct, they where not to be messed with unless as a last result for camber/caster adjustments.

I think you're right about the plastic plug shackbash. I believe our '99 Suburban has them if I remember correctly. I haven't been under it since I changed the oil last fall so my memory could be a bit suspect.

Yes the newer chevs have the plastic knock outs that are easily removed with a small pry bar. There is a tool that will aid in the removal of the steel knockouts, well worth the extra expense! If you look at the upper control arm and see grey plastic looking pieces where the arms attach to the frame they are plastic.