• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Belt tensioner on 2004 Silverado, 5.3 liter

There should also be a diagram of the belt routing on the inside/under side of the hood. It will be a white sticker and it will point out the tentioner.

You can look at the pulleys and there should be two smaller ones. The smaller one 3-4", with an arm on the back that attaches it to the block is the tentioner. If I remember correctly, it is on the right side (as you are sitting in the drivers seat) of the eng, but do not quote me.

Use a tool bar designed for moving tentioner, that or a breaker bar and socket. Pry the bar away from the belt ride side of the pulley, which is most time counter clock wise. If it will not budge, try the other direction.

Good luck!

I just thought of something, being a Chevy, the serp. belt diagram might be on the core support of the radiator. Open hood and look down where hood meets the front grill, you know.

Ya like airjer said, check that a/c belt over nice. I think it should be replaced about every 50,000 or so, for good measure.

Good luck.

So this has a separate AC belt? I will be sure to replace both since I'm at it. Thanks for the heads up. Is there a trick for removing/installing the AC belt? I usually get my belts at NAPA but haven't replaced any for several years. What is a good brand?

When they moved the a/c compressor from the top left to the bottom right they decided to run it off its own belt. Once you get the air snorkel off and the main belt off you will see the a/c compressor and its belt. It will have its own automatic tensioner just like the main belt except its smaller and cuter. grin.gif