• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Battery question with onboard charger

Bigeye30"

Hey guys, couple of quick questions for ya. We have a two bank on board charger, we run two batteriers (12V) in parallel.

Question 1 Is it better to just hook up to one battery and charge them both through one since there in parrellel or is it better to hook up each battery separtly, Keeping them hooked in parrallel and using both banks to charge.

The other question I have is that with this system in parrellel how important is it to run everything off of the one battery. Right know I have the trolling motor hooked up to one battery and a 12v accessory plug(used very little)battery charge indicator, (hardly ever pushed) and a transom mount locator (used occasionally)hooked to the other. Would the parallel system work better to hook everything to one or is it minimal difference in your opinion. Thanks

If it were me, I'd hook the one battery to the trolling motor with the charge indicator, and everything else to the other battery. Then hook up both banks of the charger, one bank to one battery, the other bank to the other. I wouldnt have the system wired in parralel, I'm not sure the point in that.?. confused.gif Sometimes you end up with interference from the trolling motor if you have the locator wired on the same circut.

Originally Posted By: Farley
I wouldnt have the system wired in parralel, I'm not sure the point in that

The reason for having them hooked in parallel is for longer run time on the trolling motor.

Based on your trolling motor plug, can the parallel connection be made at the plug vs connecting the batteries? If so, you could continue to run the 2 charger route, which should speed up your charging time.

I would be aware of the potential for interference on the transom mounted locator when operating the trolling motor.

As far as connections, it probably doesn't matter much where you make the connections - both batteries in the setup you have now are connected together.

If you've got another use for the other bank (perhaps the starting battery) I'd pull it off one of the deep cycles and connect your starting battery to it.

marine_man

Thanks for the replies everyone, ya I run them parallel at the batteries just for longer run time. I knew about the interference with the locater, that's just going to be run some of the times, so it won't bother me much, if I even keep the unit on there. Kinda toying with it for right know. Had an extra locater sitting around so I thought I'd see how I like it before I make it completly permanant,

I'd use the other bank for the cranking battery but that's located in another spot,(back of boat)while the other two are located towards the front. And I don't feel like wiring anymore, redid all the trailer lights, and connections in the boat, as well as a new locater, so Im tired of running wires for the time being, lol

So should I be hooking up both banks to the two batteries in parrallel or only one?

If you run both trolling motor Bats dead, you probably won't be able to get both fully charged overnight if you only use one bank on the charger. If you want one bank charging the cranking battery, I would upgrade to a three bank charger.