• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'll be heading up to Lake wissota this weekend to meet a buddy and try out the lake. First time for both of us and just looking for general info and advice about it. I heard that its the walleye opener this weekend also so I'm guessing it will be busy. Also does anyone know any good bait shops around the area?

Thanks in advance.

Best place for bait is Gordy's Hardware - just west of the bridge between the big and little lake.

I typically don't fish Wissota on the opener but anywhere on the channel edges from the big lake up to the dam in Jim Falls should be good for trolling. I would also try the area between the state park and where the Yellow River enters the lake. My favorite is the Yellow River bar, which is a big sand flat where the lake opens up just west of the state park.

With the late winter I don't know if the weeds will be going yet, but if they are you want to fish shallow weeds the last 45 minutes before dark with shallow running minnow baits. The shallow shad raps in particular are good. Hope this helps, any more questions just fire away!

Thanks cooter that helps a lot. How big is the lake? I have a 17' Bass tracker pro team with a 60 horse 4 stroke. Im guessing that it will handle the water fine. also do you know anyplace to get lake reports?