• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab wont fetch

night bite

My father in-law has a yellow lab female about 4 months old. When he first got her she would retrieve good. But know she will take off after the dummie and return it once or twice. Then he throws it again and she will take off after it and not return it and just dosent seem interested. He is very good with dogs and works with her at least twice a day. Just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on breaking this habit. He dosent push her to hard either she just isnt interested and this seems very strange for a lab. Thanks

Do NOT push your dog on retrieving at a young age! You can burn them out! It will become work instead of fun! A couple quick retrieves for a reward after a successful obeience training session is all that is needed. If it's bred in them it is in them... no need to hammer it in their head.

Concentrate all your efforts on obedience training over the next 2-3 months to solidify that. Obedience is the most important part of gun dog training and the foundation to all future work. Work on true marking and retrieving after you have all obedience work complete and teething is done... usually 8-9 months of age.

Good Luck!

Ken

If it continues to be a problem you can always force fetch. I'd try to do everything to get the dog to retrieve on its own before resorting to that route. It can ruin a dog if not done properly. Take it easy on it and follow the above advice.

I had the same problem with my Springer at that 4 months and I followed the advice posted here. I just tossed a few shot retrieves - and made a fool of myself with praise when he brought it back - then put it away while he was still whipped up.

He's 9 month old now - and a retrieving nut. TWO HOURS in the basement, watching a movie - he brought me his "Wubbie" to retrieve - again and again and again.

I think we all hear about these puppies that are retrieving nuts and we think ours should be too. Patience is the key.

Good luck!