• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apple trees

Gadgetman

I am thinking about planting a few apples trees but I need some help before making the wrong decision. I have some cedar trees on my property not far from where I would like to plant the apple trees. Is this just asking for a rust problem or is there a tree that will tolerate the cedars? Or perhaps this isnt a concern. Also I am wondering about soil moisture, the plcae I want to plan them is only a foot or two above lake level, is this going to be too wet? Any suggestions as to what type of dwarf tree would work for me?

I have 2 apples 1' above lake level,ones a sweet golden,the other I just call pie apple, (sour) been in for years and doing great. I also have cedars near within 30ft one the others within 40 ft. and alls well!

If you are looking at varieties.....look no further than U of M introductions.....Zestar,Honeycrisp,and Snow Sweet.The 3 newest from them.Zestar ripens in late Aug......Honeycrisp in late Sept. and Snowsweet in mid-Oct.All are sweet.

well, you can go wrong. Rust is an issue. u of M extension is the best place to look for what you need. how high do you want them to grow? Eat or not? Do your research and then make your move. You're going to live with them for the next 30 years so it's worth your time.

Originally Posted By: Gadgetman
Can anybody recommend me a decent nursery in the north or west metro that sells fruti trees?

I'd contact Jung seed and see if they have your variety and if shipping can be done soon.Or you'll be driving all around looking.There are other mail order but I can vouch on quality from Jung.