• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking at a Old Town

I am looking at a used Old Town Discovery 174. I have never used one so I am looking for a little info on how people like them. I understand they are a little heavy. I will be taking it to the b-dub so I had better get in shape. Other then that how are they?

I had the same canoe for years. Nearly indestructible and very comfortable to paddle. Handles nicely for a boat its size. Very stable, too, and that makes it easy to fish out of.

Heavy? Yes (at 83 pounds), but a set of good yoke pads will help you out. I found that the weight balanced nicely when I carried it, though you do have to work a little harder to get it over your head and mounted than with those sweet and pricey kevlar models that weigh about .0000059 ounces. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Every time I shouldered the Discovery I wished for a kevlar, and every time I shot a set of rocky rapids I was thankful for the Discovery. It will take a ton of punishment without complaint.

We've had one for years. Agree. It's indistructable and stable. When my boys were young, I trusted them to fish in it and not get into trouble. We like to put on a Minnkota and do spring Crappies in the boat channels with it. Very quiet compared to our other canoes.

If your going to the BW, I'd go with a penobscot. Spend the extra money and get a better boat. It will be well worth it. Its one thing to try it quick in a parking lot with portage pads. Its a completely different story after a long day of travel and you need to hump it over one last rough portage. Those extra 20 pounds will feel like a 100.

Leave the Discovery at the landing and load up the penobscot.

I second the Penobscot. Bought one last spring and she handled like a charm in the BW. Minimal scratching from running rapids too. They are a few pounds heavier than advertised though. This is the only thing I wasn't happy about.