• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Preparation

Dave S

It's that time of year everyone when we sit with the highest of anticipation waiting for the trails to open.

As we know, most trails don't open until the middle of May so we have some time to get the machines in tip top shape and ready to go for the first ride of the new season.

A couple things that we should do, especially if the machines have been in storage over the winter months is to drain the old fuel from the tank, clean the carbs (if equipped) and replace with fresh gas. Some of us are better gear heads than others adn can tear into this task ourselves. I'm not one of them by the way. I prefer to have someone else do the technical work for me.

Also, replace the coolant in your radiator if your machine is liquid cooked (no that wasn't a typo). Just adding a little humor.

Check your steering components for excess wear. Make sure they're tightened and in good shape. This can be a real safety hazard if left alone.

Clean your chain for those who have a chain driven machine. Clean it out with a good quality cleaner and relube the chain, also with a good quality lubricant.

Check your tires for leaks. This is easily done with a spray bottle with warm soapy water. Many of us use our machines throughout the winter for plowing snow and ice fishing and may use chains for the extra traction. Nothing worse than being on the trails and end up with a flat 10 miles from the truck.

Check your air cleaner. Ridden or not, mice have a knack for finding the air box on ATV's in the winter time. Clean it out good per the manufacturers specs and re-oil your pre-filters, also according to manufacturer specs.

Check to make sure your lights work. Remember it's state law to have your lights on at all times if your machine is equipped with them. Double check all of your wiring connections also.

Check your battery and all connections to it. Cables may be tight when you leave home, but in the rough and tumble activity of ATV'ing, things can work loose and you may find yourself stranded.

Check the boots on your CV joints. Sticks, branches, and wire can get in there and rip or tear your boots. If this happens, dust and any water can ruin a good day of riding in a hurry.

Make sure your registration plate is clean, legible, and securely fastened to your machine where it's visible. Even if it falls off in the middle of a ride, you still need to have your registration displayed on the back of your machine.

Change your oil in the motor and front and rear differentials (where applicable), and in your hubs if they contain their own oil.

Check your spark plugs for proper fuel burn. A white or grayish plug tip is the result of your machine running lean. Black and or damp is an indication of your machine running rich. A cocoa brown color indicates your machine is jetted properly and running efficiently.

Prepare a kit to take along on the trails. Things such as a space blanket, water proof matches, granola/candy bar, tire repair kits, and a small tool kit for the easily repairable issues out on the trail.

These are just a few things to consider before the official opening of Minnesotas trails.

If anyone has anything to add, please do. We can never have enough information and or tips to ensure our time on the trails is a quality one.

Ride Smart, Ride Safe.

Dave

Good post!

The only thing I can add is, do your trailer also. The atv's aren't so bad, but in the early summer time I couldn't count how many boat trailers I see along side the road with a flat or a lost rim/tire.

Grease bearings and check tire wear and pressures.

I will second Roofers coments. Its one thing to have wheeler problems but it is worse to have trailer problems. If the wheeler breaks down at least you can drag it back to the trailer and go home, but if the trailer breaks then what? Speaking of which Im going to go service my trailer! blush.gif

How do you get things licenced, i bought a new wheeler and they gave me all the stuff but i've since lost it, i need to go about getting all the licence to legally ride the darn thing lol....just curious how i go about that.thanks

You should ahve received the information either in the mail or the dealership should have called you to let you know that your registration is in.

No machine is to leave a dealership without the registration being applied for first.

If you purchase the machine, you'll need the stub from the registration, which will be the new fan-dangled sticker the DNR uses for everything these days as well as a bill of sale. Or basically a handwritten note stating the seller's and buyer's names and the machine VIN number.