• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another 1996 Corsica question

My commuter acted up the other night. On my way home (Sat afternoon I believe) it started and idled fine and drove for about 10-15 minutes without an issue. However, I began to notice after about the 15 minute period that if I touched my brake pedal to slow down....the speedometer needle would jump back and forth before settling to the right speed. Also, I noticed my headlights would dim out and then back on once when I first stepped on the brake pedal. It did this all the way home for me when I stepped on the brake pedal.

Once I made it home, I shut it off and restarted it to see if it did it again. (It did the above once a week ago on my way home and after I shut it off it was fine and hasn't acted up since)

Anyway, the car starts and idles great....no dim lights, however if I put the brake on and flip on a blinker while driving, I get the same result. At one point in my driveway, I shifted it in reverse and put the car in reverse (with the brake applied) and then flipped on the blinker which caused the car to stutter and die a bit. It started right back up and idled fine with no issues until I started to drive it down the side street....then the brake light and abs light pulsed on and off and the car more would surge and almost die...surge and almost die.

I'd hate to dump this car as I just put tabs on it and it has been a great commuter car for me. (I really don't want to turn my F-150 into a daily driver)

My initial thought was it might possibly be an alternator/battery issue? (alternator putting off enough electricty to sustain idle car, but when the electrical system is loaded it starts to go?....battery holds some charge but not enough?)

if this has you confused...just ask the needed questions and I will try and reply.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

My first thought is a ground issue. I would walk around the car and pay close attention the to the brightness of the rear taillights brake lights, and reverse lights. If any are dimmer than expected or lights are turning off or on when they should not then start searching for a ground issue.

Otherwise the first step would be to put a voltmeter on the battery and see what the voltages are when the problems occur.

What Airjer posted and it would not be a bad idea to stop by a service station or dealer and have a "free" battery test done.

A bad battery has been known to cause issues like you stated on some Chrysler vehicles in the past.

Good luck.

It is the computer.I had the exact same thing happening on one of my loaner cars (96 corsica) new computer and I never had another problem with it. If you want toget rid of the car Let me know I have one that needs an engine.