• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clarification on a regulation...

Angling Methods:

Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificual lure, is considered three hooks and is not legal. The exception is three artificial flies may be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

So can I target crappies with a drop shot rig, and using a heavier jig as my weight? Or is it by "flies" they mean... fly fishing?

Well, you could use three wet flies strung up on a drop shot rig with a sinker, but once you've got a jig on that's your one and only hook.

Artificial flies used in fly fishing, correct...It doesn't say anything about having to use them with a fly rod or anything though.

according to an email i sent to the DNR last year aboot this rule in regards to those dropshot tandem rigs they sell at Walmart and Fleet Farm: "Hello - I'll answer your first question. They don't meet the definition of an artificial lure so they are illegal. however, if they are modfied by adding a bead or feather or blade or whatever they would be considered artificial lures and be legal. You can add bait to any lure."

TIP,

While technically it may be a lure....I've heard it really depends on the DNR folks who would check you. Just think, that is pretty much all a Quick Strike Rig is..

I was asking about this rule on a great lakes HSOforum as well.I was wondering if it would be legal to use three Howie flies behind a flasher for lake trout. Didn't get an answer

It seems that if you can make a quick strike rig you with a large sucker you should also be able to make that same size rig only tiny for crappies and that one minnow could be put on a hook or pieces of that one minnow could be put on each hook.

Taken to the other extreme you could make a giant bottom bouncer rig with multiple hooks and as long as you tied it on as a lure you would be doing nothing different than fishing with a crawler harness that had a worm split by a perch. We've all fished with parts of worms on these rigs or parts of two different worms, so why not take it to the extreme and spread the hooks out and use parts of a worm on three hooks feet apart?

I liked last weeks question of joining two baits together to make a jointed lure. How far apart can the front half be from the back half?

MN should just change to allow two lines all year, with opening walleye weekend being the only exception. I think every state around us allows two lines.

This should stir the pot?!