• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Thread

I am just getting back into rod making after about five years.

I am wondering what brand of thread is good quality. I have a lot of Gudebrod, but have been hearing not too good stuff about it. Also what is a good source of wood insert reel seats?

Thanks

There are a few, Anglers Workshop, Pacific Bay, Rice Thread. There are also more than just a few people using embroidery threads in polyester and metallics(stay away from rayon), Madiera, Sulky and Mettler are the ones that I know people are using with good results. It is a little smaller in diameter, but since you get more wraps per inch it is just as strong or stronger as size A as far as holding a guide on. I have switched to using Mettler for most of the rods I build as of late. There is so much wider a variety of colors and it works well, especially on smaller diameter rods, it works well on the heavier stuff too.

Thanks UpNorth,

Do you make your own reel seat inserts? I am looking at lathes, but I don't know how far into wood working I want to go at this time. Are there sources you can recommend for wood reel seats and handles until I get a feel for how involved I want to get?

There are a few, you could start with our site sponsors, Midwest Rod and Reel and Thorne Bros. If they don't stock it they may be able to order it for you. There are some other out there, Jann's Netcraft and Mudhole come to mind and those are just a few. Doing a web search for rod building supplies will surely bring up a few sites.

Hi guys, while I don't make my own rods I enjoy looking through this forum. I'm looking into getting a custom rod and am interested in the different wrap designs that can be done. I've followed this entire forum and there is a few good pics, is it possible for some of you to post other pics of your custom wrap jobs. Not only is it neat looking at on here but it will help give me an idea of what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for any cooperation. \:\)

I would, but I have not taken pics of everything I have done. Pretty much everything I have take pics of are posted here already in the rod crafting thread. I may have a few more and if I can find them I will post them.

Tippman - my stuff aint as nice as UpNorth's whistle.gif but i'll take a few pictures later so you can see a basic compairson of a diamond vs chevron vs double diamond ect. The sky's the limit on what can be done. Do some "rod-building n rodcrafting" searches and you'll find some amazing stuff...

I use Mettler Polysheen in size 40. It is a little smaller than size A gudebrod. I am going to mention this again, stay away from rayon in all brands, the stuff is junk, it frays, it is not very strong and even with Color Preserver bleeds like mad.

Nice work, looks tight and straight.

How does the size of Madiera compare to say size A Gudebrod? Mettler is noticeably smaller in diameter. Which is fine on most lighter rods.

I use CP on everything.