• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Photo printer recommendations

Personally I wouldn't bother. With the price of ink compared to the price of prints done at a 1hr place it doesn't pay. I've had good luck from several 1 hr places in my town.

Just my opinion.

Wormerdrowner, there are quite a few manufacturers who produce excellent and very affordable photo printers capable of making professional grade prints.

Epson, Canon, HP, just to name a few. I've always been an Epson person, but the others are great, too.

I'm going to assume 8x10 will be about the largest you want to print from home. Going up to a 13x19 printer will add several hundred dollars to your tab.

I've had very nice luck with my Epson R300, though I only use it now for individual greeting cards and such for family because I farm out all my printing to online labs.

I'd check out an online retailer to see what's there in your price range. One strong piece of advice is to avoid full-size printers with two ink cartridges (one black and one color). Even though some of those printers are marketed as photo printers the quality isn't that great. You're looking for a printer that takes individual colored ink cartridges. That's the mark of a printer really designed for photos.

My R300 takes six total, and though it produces pro quality images, it still cost me only about $150.

Supplies get pricey. Good quality photo papers and ink replacements can in the end cost more than ordering prints online or taking the CD/CF card down to the big box store or photo store and having them make the prints.

However, for convenience and for those who want to have total control over the look of their images, home printers really fit the bill.

Good luck!

For 4 X 6 photos, I use my HP Photosmart photo printer. This printer only prints 4 X 6 prints. It costs me 25c each, when I buy the paper and ink as a kit. This printer actually takes just 1 ink cartridge. However, I've compared some of my wifes photos printed with my HP, with prints that she has had done downtown. I have to say, my HP does a nicer job. ALso, my prints are guaranteed note to fade for 100 years. Anything larger, I'd just have them done thru an online source. Printers that use ink that is dye based, will produce prints that will only look good for a few years, at the most. Some of the better printers use pigment based inks. These can last decades or even a century or more.

Considering I sell note cards, my small photo printer makes it very convenient to print my own. On the other hand, if you weigh the cost of printing your own 8 X 10's vs having them done elsewhere, I believe you're better off letting someone else print them.

For my 4x6 at home I have a Canon Selphy. It doesn't use inkjet ink. I am not sure what kind of printer it is exactly but it uses a kind of film and the paper goes through 3 or 4 times. The prints turn out awesome. I like it for the convenience of printing at home. If I am going to do a bunch of prints or enlargements, I will get them done from a place online.

I didn't realize Canon made dye sublimation printers. I used to own an Alps dye sub printer. It did a super job. I didn't read the manual first, so when the print came thru looking all blue, I thought there was something wrong with it of course. Then, the printer pulled it back in and ran it thru again and again, for each color. It was actually kind of cool, albeit a bit slow. Dye sub printers use ink ribbons. I see with the Canon, the cost is just 27c per 4 X 6.