• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sandburs !!

Here's a question......

I have 3 acres in total sand. It took 5 years and 20 packed bags of hand (yes, hand) cry.gifmad.gif picked Sandburs to eradicate 2 of the acres.

The one acre is the far back and LOADED with Sandbur seeds.

I heard to put Crabgrass preventer fertilizer down in early June to prevent them from coming up. Is that true or is there a better way...?

Thanks...

Yes, you should be able to use your pre-emergent product to control sandbur or grassburs. However, read the label for any product you're putting down to make sure it's listed to control that weed.

To be effective, these pre emergents need to be applied before weed seeds germinate -- generally when the soil temperature (NOT the air temperature) reaches 52 degrees F. This usually occurs by May 15 in the central Minnesota area.

If a post-emergence herbicide such as MSMA or DSMA is used, wait until the day time temperatures are about 75 degrees F. for the products to be most effective. To insure complete control of germinating grass burrs in heavily infested areas, extend the residual of the herbicide barrier in the soil and thus extend the length of control period by making applications of the pre-emergent herbicide EVERY 6 WEEKS through September.

Another product you could use to control the sandbur that's already exposed is either round-up, painting it on the plant with a paintbrush, however this could become quite time consuming with an area like you say.

Thanks.

The label says Sandburs on the list. I read quite a bit online and most say do not put it down when we normally put down crabgrass preventer, delay it until just before they germinate.

With the horribly high fertilizer prices, I am scaling way back on my fertilizer application - it will just cost too much to do my 2 acre "normal yard", let alone the back acre.....

I'll be honest with you, that if you're going to scale back, then I probably wouldn't even worry about it.

It's going to be an issue like creeping charlie. Unless you're going to just pound on it and pound on it until they're gone, you're really not going to notice much of a difference.

Wait on the pre for the sandburs.

Sandburs germinate much later than your normal weeds.

Im waiting till mid to late May, for my ground in South Dakota, even if I have to water it in.

Yea, I'll wait on the Pre-emegerent until about June.

I tried dragging a burlap bag once and what a laugh that was! No good.

Got to be pretty good at picking the plants without getting pricked.

Ever put them in a bonfire...? I butn them by the grocery bag full. It smells just like Pot!! Wonder what the neighbors think!! grin.gifwhistle.gif