• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Kicker for my boat

fishidafish

Looking to put a kicker on my Crestliner 1850 sportfish, been told that the 08 Yamaha T8PLR, remote, tilt and long shaft is THE motor to have. Any bad news out there or things to research? Tried the search button to see if this subject exists already but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

There's basically two kicker motors out there, the Yamaha T8 or the Merc Pro Kicker. I've used both and both are great. Electric start and power tilt are standard on both motors, remote is an option for both.

I run my kicker as a tiller, not remote, and think the Pro Kicker has a couple neat features the T8 doesn't have ..... but both are great motors. Personally I'd match my big motor if it was a Yam or a Merc, and if it was something else I'd go with either the T8 or Pro Kicker anyway.

Other than the T8 and Pro Kicker, you can get 10 HP 4-strokes from some other manufacturers. With these you would want to change props (not needed but not a bad idea), and mount them on a panther lift or something like that so you had power tilt.

I'm partial to yamaha's so it'd be the T8 in my opinion...

But I agree with Perchjerker - if you're running a merc as the main motor stick with merc, and likewise for the Yamaha.

Perchjerker - what features does the pro kicker have that the t8 doesn't?

marine_man

I'd agree with both previous posts, I run a T8 and it has been nothing but smooth going, but if I had a merc as the main motor i'd be matching that up with another merc. I thought there was some speculation of the T8 getting replaced with a T9 or something of that sort, at least that's the word I recieved at the boat show. Not definate on it, just what one salesman was claiming. I think you'll be happy with either one.

Originally Posted By: marine_man
Perchjerker - what features does the pro kicker have that the t8 doesn't?

marine_man

If you run the kicker as a tiller, the Pro Kicker has twist-grip shifting where forward-neutral-reverse is right on the throttle ---- no need to reach back to a seperate shift lever. It's a REALLY a nice feature when fishing vertical and slipping with the wind and going in and out of gear a lot. Even when trolling it means less bending and reaching.

The Pro Kicker has faster power tilt. Is it needed - not really, it only saves you a second or two. Is it cool - you're darn right it is.

The Pro Kicker has centering straps that automatically center and hold the motor when you tilt it up. No need to lock it in place, or fiddle around with a tension lever, etc. You hit the trim up button and a second or two later you're out of the water, locked in place, and ready to ride. When you get to your fishing spot you hit the trim down button and a second or two later you're in the water and ready to troll. My buddies that have T8s are super impressed by the centering straps and are trying to figure out how to rig them on their T8s.

I haven't used a T8, but my merc 9.9 pro bigfoot is the coolest thing since sliced bread. The gas I save with this thing is awsome. I have a 1750 sportfish and the kicker will go about 6.8 mph by the GPS. I ran almost the entire summer on one tank of gas. If I never wanted to go fast the 125 merc 2 stroke would never be started. I think it just looks cool having two mercs instead of mismatching.

the reason that motors are getting up there in price is becuase you have to order them loose, and lot of them make you pay alot more for them loose, becuase there sending them all out on boats already.

Congrats on the buy