• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Memory Card Format test

In the interest of not cluttering up X-Tackleman's thread I am posting the results of a memory card test here.

I took a Compact Flash SanDisk Extreme IV 2g card with 465 photos on it and ran the following tests. Used a Mark IIN and formatted the card in camera with the format function located in the menu. I then used Rescue Pro a free utility that comes with Extreme III and higher SanDisk cards.

1. Formatted the card in camera and ran Rescue Pro and it recovered all 465 photos.

2. Formatted in camera and again and ran Rescue Pro and again it recovered all 465 photos.

3. Put card back in camera and held down on shutter button and shot until the buffer was full. For anyone that cares the Mark IIN set to Large JPEG at 8.5fps with the Extreme IV card fired 42 shots until the camera slowed and the buffer filled. I now ran Rescue Pro again and all 465 pictures were recovered. The first 42 were the new shots and the old photos didn't exactly start at 43 but it was close. I didn't bother to see exactly which photos were overwritten.

4. I now re-formatted the card in Windows by right clicking the card and selecting the format option. Ran Rescue Pro again and it now recovered 464 photos the same as the test above. I lost one shot but didn't bother to figure out which one.

Conclusions of the test? Even formatting a card will most likely result in you recovering your images. Formatting multiple times in camera and in computer still will likely get your images back. Once you have shot over images they most likely will not be re-coverable.

I didn't bother to try this by just deleting in camera or in computer. Formatting should be a more permanent way to get rid of photos so no doubt you stand a very high chance of getting any photo back with recovery software if deleting a photo.

I have always formatted in camera before shooting over a card, I think it reduces any write-errors better than just deleting does. I will continue to to that now knowing that I can still likely recover photos even with a format. If you delete photos by accident stop shooting and remove your card. Put a new card in and continue your shooting. When you get home you should be able to recover your deleted photos on your first card.

It might be worth your money to buy a decent memory card that includes recovery software. This may save you headaches latter if the day comes when you do an accidental delete.

Just some information to store away for a rainy....errr a snowy day.

Hey, it worked with the card for my Panasonic too. I had a photo of a pair of robins that I had put in a gallery, and then deleted the image, like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly. Of course, someone wanted that shot. At least I didn't panic this time. It worked like a charm.