• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chesapeake Bay Retriever

mrklean

I have never owned one so I can't comment on them personally, but from what I hear they are great dogs if you are familiar with them! I don't want to start this post off in the wrong direction, but knowing what CBR's are all about would be wise before purchasing one because they are not labs (and many people may not realize that).

You can google the following two readings for some good information:

Chesapeakes Are Not For Everyone

and

Don't Get a Chesapeake If...

Awsome dogs, amazing desire when hunting, will never give up on a retrieve, will do things thier own way since they have a mind of thier own. When it comes to making the retrieve they will normally be right anyways. One grouse I shot last year I could have sworn went down way to the right and the chessie I was hunting with went left and under a big dead tree and came out with my bird. I was trying to call her off, lol. Definatly need to look at what your getting into with them. In my opinion they need a lot of exercise and a job to do or they will get bored and could be destructive, but this will come with any hunting breed of dog. They need a take charge person or they will take charge and that is when they could become agressive when they think they are protecting you or family members. As long as the dog sees you as the top dog this wont be a problem at all. All the talk of chessies being agressive is [PoorWordUsage] now days as long as you get a decent breeding. They still have a tendency to be protective, but like I said just make sure they know you are in charge and you won't have a problem there. They have awsome personalities, but could be considered stubborn because they will sit there and think about what you told them to do and decide if its the best way. Overall as long as you don't break the trust with them they will mature to do anything they know will make you happy. I think chessies are awsome, My only experience is with my friends chessie which I lived with for a year and a half and hunted over a ton the last two seasons. I am getting my own this fall! Both of 311Hemi's recommedations are things you should read. They are definatly not the dog for everyone, but are amazing dogs in my mind. Hope my rambling helped a little bit grin.gif

Blake

i have one an he is a awsome dog very very smart well behaved an just great all around dog! you do have to be the master an let them know that when training,they are procetve but like to bark an intimadate more than anything ,never had aproblem with him biteing anyone an he's 9.would recomend lots of room to roam (big yard ) they learn boundrys real fast an also cery clean about doing there bussiness in the woods never in the yard.ours is also a good kids dog an we keep him in the house with no problems .just make sure you ck breeding an get what you want.i do know we'll diffently get another .

Gunerboy, how long do yo ukeep him in the house unattended thats the only thing im worried about if hes alone for periods of time cause my parents are still working he might be alone for 4 or 5 hour periods each day???

Chessies are tremendous hunters and family dogs. They are a bit on the protective side of what they consider theirs. If you are considering one the breeder is very important. Also socializing any dog from day one will ensure that they are comfortable around people. Mine was a great dog very determined and did not quit. They are a true waterfowl dog. If that is the reason you are buying one you will not be disappointed. In my experience keep the dog in a kennel until it can be trusted to roam the house while you are not home. If you are going to be gone for extended periods of time get a baby gate and give the dog the hallway. This is not a dog you want to put in a confined space for 8 hrs a day. Stubborn sometimes but you will not find a dog more loyal to its family.

FnF

As has been mentioned, work with your Chessie a lot...they need to be reminded often that you are indeed the boss, and that you are indeed smarter than the dog...they will challenge both those assumptions regularly.

Be consistent with the Chessie...if you teach it to do something, and then try to change it, the dog will get confused. They have amazing memories. Stop bad behavior early...once these dogs learn something (or learn that they can get away with something), it WILL be remembered. That also applies to their magnificent ability to mark where birds drop and make multiple retrieves without difficulty.

They tend to be calmer in the house than a lot of other breeds...you might actually prefer an 80-pound chessie to a 45 pound spaniel in terms of being well behaved in the house.