• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

non-res question

What does a person need for a non-resident license to hunt fox and coyotes in ND?? I see the small game is only good for two 7-day periods or one 14-day, but it doesn't mention varmints in the list. I might have some land lined up for next fall, but might have time to go shoot some predators this spring.

harveylee

Thanks for the info. I did a little more careful looking and think I found what I need.

Another question is about a decent map for over there. Do they have any public hunting land maps or anything you would recommend?

You can pick up a booklet anywhere that sells licenses, it has all the areas of the state broken up by area. It is called PLOTS, private land open to sportsman, it is very detailed. I don't recall if it has all the public land as well.

Our PLOTS giude is on the GNF HSOforum.It will probably change a little for 2008.A lot of it is CRP,but there is plenty that isn't.In 2007 we went over 1,000,000 acres of PLOTS(Private Land Open to Sportsman).All areas have yellow triangle signs.It is all private land open to walk in hunting.

The guide will show you all PLOTS,State Wildlife Areas,and Federal Waterfowl Production Areas as well.Here is the HSOforum......just scroll down and click on the area you want.There is only one restriction for non-residents.....they cannot hunt it from Oct. 11th through the 17th.The first week of pheasant season.

http://gf.nd.gov/maps/plots.html

One other thing that I would add, at least in the area I go, is that if you just go and talk to some of the farmers and tell them what you would like to hunt, they will more often than not point you to good areas and even draw you maps.... provided it isn't deer you are hunitng \:\)

The North Dakota folks we got to know are great, and we have fun with them on and off the field. You will have a great time.

KEN W,

Thanks for the info. I tried downloading one of those maps earlier and it didn't work, but it does now. That PLOTS is a great deal for hunters, and definitely something MN could learn from.

BoxMN,

I will be hunting fox and coyotes for the most part. I might get out yet this spring, but for sure next winter. I'm glad to hear it's relatively easy to get permission...now that I got into this predator hunting I don't want winter to be over!

Many ND fox and coyote hunters simply drive the back roads after the snow blankets the landscape. Prefer a cold, sunny day with a northwind. The fox and coyotes will curl up on the edges of hills - in the sun, but just out of the wind.

Sneak a little ways and shoot them while they sleep.

Amazing how many you will see on the right day.

Originally Posted By: brittman
Many ND fox and coyote hunters simply drive the back roads after the snow blankets the landscape. Prefer a cold, sunny day with a northwind. The fox and coyotes will curl up on the edges of hills - in the sun, but just out of the wind.

I can't wait until next winter to get out there on some of those clear, cold days. I didn't really get into hunting them until late Feb. of this year, but next year I'll be on 'em right away.