• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Free Photo Shop?

I heard this morning you can go onto PhotoShop's website and down load a free (smaller) version of their software.

Has anyone done this yet and if so, how did it go? I was looking into purchasing PhotoShop and just heard about this. When I heard this, I thought of this forum right away.

Thanks

Many of these software companies will let you try out their product. I don't remember how long Adobe will let you use Photoshop, but I believe they will let you use a version, and there will be a time limit on it.

I had heard this morning on a slightly firm source (am1500 news hour), that Adobe was making a basic version you could down load for free to use (they made it sound like its not a trial). They made it sound like a marketing ploy, that would lead to a person purchasing a larger/better version (upgrade).

I did search their website and seen the trials, but nothing free. Maybe soon?

Anyone else hear this this morning?

I might send them an e-mail.

Thanks

Be very careful about what you do here. This is right from the Adobe web site.

Quote:
Adobe does not claim ownership of Your Content. However, with respect to Your Content that you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Services, you grant Adobe a worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, derive revenue or other remuneration from, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other Materials or works in any format or medium now known or later developed.

I personally would not touch this with a 10' pole!

If you want to save money, Photoshop Elements does most of what the majority of people will ever have a need for, and then some. You could probably pick up an older version on hsolist, for under $100. Actually, I just checked and you can get version 6 for under $100. I'm still using version 3 and am very happy with it.

I just called Adobe customer service and talked with Martin.

As of 9:00 p.m. last night, they have started a free Photshop Express Beta for free.

Even the rep from Adobe gave me a link and said to go and down load. I am checking it out, it looks like it is an upload your images type program, with Photoshop editing features. Image hosting with Photoshop perks.

It is free and you have to go to Adobe and check out recent news links.

I could post a link if ST says it is ok. Did not want to cause trouble, just help people out :).

I think I just found a new image hosting site cool.gif

Thanks guys and good luck.

The disclaimer Dan highlighted from Adobe is similar to those from Photobucket and all other photo hosting sites I'm aware of.

It's a good gig for Adobe and the other sites, because they can use the images posted on their sites to promote their sites and for a whole bunch of other purposes. But this Adobe disclaimer is the worst I've seen. It allows them to license (sell the rights to) your art for Adobe's purposes to anyone they want.

YOUR IMAGES, which YOU own, used as the hosting site sees fit, with no financial benefit for you. And Adobe, because they are a BIG KID on the block, will get instant name recognition as this kicks off. In truth, some photo hosting sites like Photobucket already offer some limited photo manipulation options.

These disclaimers are why I no longer mount any of my most compelling images on Photobucket or other hosting sites. I can live with the disclaimer for so-so images, but I'll be darned if I give tacit approval for those sites to use my top-line images for their own desires just because I need to use a photo hosting site to share images in some online forums.

shackbash, I know you are a helpful and conscientious fellow and are simply working to make things easy for others. Posting links or direct contact info for commercial Web sites and other businesses that are not HSO/FM advertisers and sponsors is not allowed, FYI.

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish

shackbash, I know you are a helpful and conscientious fellow and are simply working to make things easy for others. Posting links or direct contact info for commercial Web sites and other businesses that are not HSO/FM advertisers and sponsors is not allowed, FYI.

I will take that as a no grin.gif

I figured as such. I have read forum policey many, many times.

Thanks ST \:\)

Steve I think summed this up well. By using this FREE image hosting site you are giving away everything with your photos. Adobe can use your image in commercial work, licensing, etc all without your permission and with no compensation. This is truly one of the worst disclaimers I have ever seen!

In my opinion Adobe has stooped to the lowest level by enticing folks into using their free software to get a free stock photo library and then leaving the photographer with absolutely no rights! As i said above I would run the opposite direction as fast as possible and not touch this with a 10' pole.

Thanks Dbl.

I get what you mean now. Thanks for clearing it up. Someone does all the leg work, finish’s image, host’s image and the hosting site “in theory” could sell the image, by what this disclaimer says or profit (by) it from any transaction you do with the hosted image.

At the time of your post, I did not know it was an image hosting option at that point. Now I under stand.

Thanks

I played around with it for a little while yesterday using the demo images they have - you can try it without uploading anything or creating an account. It works well, fairly fast, has some nice preview features but really doesn't do anything that every image editor does and is missing many features that other full blown editors like Photoshop have.

They have partnered with Picasa and Photobucket so you can edit and upload to those sites without hosting at Adobe. The biggest, and probably most important, difference between Adobes disclaimer and other sites is Adobe is claiming perpetual, irrevocable right to the images, the other hosting companies only (loaded word) claim that while you use their services, once you delete them they don't claim the right to use the images.

All in all Photoshop Express is a great technological advancement and a great example of what can be done hosting an application within a browser. However, there are many other image editors, free and not so free, that will do just as well and don't have the risk of giving your work away.

Guys,

This sounds like a Hornets nest to me. I use Flikr it has a pretty nice editing feature called piknik does all the basic PP and has the ability to add frames and mattes to the image. It seems to be one of the better Imaging sites I've found. I personally do not offer my images for sale.

How would you load images to the forum without using a site such as these?

If you put your name at the bottom of the prints you send to these sites does that offer you any protection for copyright?

Moose, in Flickr, you have the option of making the photos private. This way, nobody else can see them. In Flickr's terms of service, it talks about the use of material that is public. I set all my photos to private, and then after a couple weeks or so, I delete them. The site has served my purpose by then, and anyone who hasn't seen them yet, they're just out of luck. ;\)

Moose, the private aspect of Flickr sounds pretty good to me.

Putting your name/copyright on an online image is like putting a padlock on a garage door. It keeps honest people honest. If someone wants to steal an image you've posted online, name/copyright or not, they will.

It also doesn't offer any protection from terms of service you agree to in order to sign up on an online photo album. And the only way you can post images here is if they already are loaded on some type of Web site so this site can make a hotlink to the image's URL.

X-T, thanks for the info on Flickr. I'm going to look into that.

Good points X and Steve. I guess I've never thought of people pirating my images off a photo sharing site. From now on I'll make sure to set them as Private. Thank you for the good information.

Tim

Tim,

ER, my stomping grounds. I work in ER and live a short distance form ER.

The question I would ask, is when the images are set to private, can get an URL link from them? I have always thought you have to make them public to get a URL. I could be wrong though.

I could see making them public to get an URL, then switching to private and then deleting them from the hosting site all together.

I am sorry, I am thinking of just getting some ordinary fishing pics, touching up a little for quality and then sharing them on FM. I never figured about those who make a living in this industry.

Thanks for the info guys.

Shack,

Yep I'm in Elk River. I just went to Flickr and changed some of my pics to private and when I clicked on the size your pic tab it still let me grab my URL to paste it onto the Forum just for your information.

Click on edit pictures. Once it loads click on create then click frames. After you pic the colors it will ask you to add vinegrette which brings up a slider which adds shadows to the matte.

That is where my problem lies. I click on "edit photo" and it takes me to piknik, which gives me a few options, but frames is not one of them.

Never mind. I found it. You have to click on "create", after "edit photo".