• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have a friend....

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
Not sure how slot limits would go over on a river system...

River's tend to hold more fish and receive less pressure (those 2 ideas are probably related) so in general they don't require a slot. I'd be all for it, I think the slot size is a great concept. If people would in general just treat public waters as if it were their own private pond I think people would be more selective in the fish they take.

about twenty or so years ago the DNR fisheries dept made walleye/sauger and large/small mouth bass in pool 2 of the mississippi C&R only . originally it was their intent to stop after ten years. it was supposed to increase the size and number's of fish in that region. allthough there was a slight increase it was below what they expected or had hoped. then something they did'nt expect happened. the waters below on down to peppin and other bodies of water were showing major increases in numbers ''and'' size of those protected species. others not protected up river showed no significant changes good or bad or in outlying area's. after those observations it was determined that program should be extended indefinatly. it was surmised that the fish were leaving that area in pool 2 and ''repopulating'' the lower reaches. anyone can attest to the increase in fish below pool 2 and even in the croix and some accessable lakes in the lower region. i know the croix has benifited greatly over the years. so with this said. slot/C&R limit's may or may not affect an area, but can affect a much larger area than one might think in certain bodies of water.

Great information. Thank you for posting that.

Perhaps I should clarify just a bit; by saying "would go over", I was referring to special interest groups like tournaments, etc, etc. I'm a believer in slot limits and would be for it. Catch and release isn't all bad either. I like chicken or steak on the grill after a day of fishing too.

if you liked that your gonna love this. it was also surmised, anything surmised is subject to massive amounts of study before it is even thought about as even a mabe, that the importance of a particular part of a body of water may go well beyond what has been thought. that it could be that pool 2 is the main breeding area and therefore the stocking source of the entire system of many miles. same goes for taylors falls. some breed anywhere but that being the main source. walleye in particular by comming up to spawn and finding no room for themselves to stay very long retreat back to another area. if there is room for them they may stay. when fish are removed by fishermen that leaves room for them to stay when they come back the next year to spawn, assuming there is habitat, forage, which pool 2 has. talors falls don't. thus, depleteing the areas they came from. and by keeping certain areas full of fish it creates an area where massive spawning activity occurs. with a allready healthy population of native and an influx of visiting fish.

Buffalo has historically been heavily stocked.

The reports are available on the states web site.

To some people a 12" eye is no different than a 12" perch or even a 12" crappie, It's just another fish to eat.

It's funny how we see the fewer fish people catch,the more likely they are to keep small fish, and the more fish people catch, the less they keep and the more selective they are about what they do keep.

It's a natural evolution process of becoming a seasoned fisherman. A six year old wants to keep everything and a 56 year old who caught a lot of fish wants only eaters/trophies.

You might have to just accelerate the process here through education and example. good luck and see ya on the water.

I got buddies like that but after many, many hours in the boat and lots of one way discussion (my way) they are starting to come around. it also helped when I started bringing them up to Kabetogama where most of the fish you catch are 20" or so and they all have to go back. They are starting to realize now that the slot is why we catch so many nice walleyes up there. But if they do keep a big one to eat(not up at kab) I dont chastize them, it's perfectly legal to do so, and it should be. Some people are not as good as fishermen as others, if they want to keep a 25" walleye and eat it, good for them. If they do it regularly is where I have a problem.

ONE THING THAT I LIKE TO DO IF I HAVE A PERSON IN MY BOAT ARE THAT I TAKE OUT FISHING I WOUNT LET THEM KEEP ANYTHING UNLESS ITS BETWEEN 14.5 - 18.5 IN ARE A TROPHY THEN I STILL ENCOURAGE TO GET A RELICA.