• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dream Rod - Custom Advice?

Just purchased a custom rod certificate at our recent NWTF banquet at a steal for $110. Didn't seem to be any stipulations on the price of the rod, though $250 was mentioned by someone as max. value.

I have most of what I need, but this is a good problem to have.

Knowing what you all know about the price of blanks, types of rods out there, and quality of blanks for the price, what would you have built?

I'm thinking about asking for a legend elite, walleye spinning rod of some type/sort.

I don't fish muskie, but walleye fish a good deal on rivers and lakes (all techniques), and fish for largemouth/smallmouth. Getting a panny rod seems like kind of a waste grin.gif.

Recommendations? Too open-ended a question?

Joel

If your'e talking Eyes A G. Loomis IMX or St. Croix Legend Elete would be the way to do.

Describe to me what applications you want to use the rod , and I can recommend a few blanks. Do you fish Mille Lacs at all?? Glad to help grin.gif

Two blanks that work well. The St. Croix Legend Elete 7 ft Med light rod. Extend the handle another 8 - 10 inches.

The G. Loomis HSR 9000 IMX also works well for rigging & slip bobber fishing. The guys @ Thorne Bros build a ton of these two rods for the Walleye guys

I built a Walleye rod for a guy a while back on a St. Croix SCV blank 7 Med fast action. That was a sweet rod. I like the medium lites myself, but if you like the medium action rods that was a beauty \:\)

Another thing to consider, do you fly fish? A custom built fly rod would be a very good way to blow $250 cool.gif

My personal Legend Elite is a 6'6" Medium Fast. I use it for virtually everything except pannies and musky. I find that the sensitivity on it is so good that I think I definately catch more fish on it. I would think that you could get one built for around 250, maybe a little more? The one I made for myseld if I sold it would sell for 300. But I have quite a few "options" in it, like holographic guides, three piece handle, and two laser etchings.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I fish Mille Lacs a few times a year, and am fairly set up with river rods as I'm a fan of the Limit Creeks.

I like the legend elite 7ft Med lite suggestion. Why extend the handle? Worth the extra weight?

What is the Loomis replacement warranty like on a custom rod? I know St. Croix wants to see the custom rod/blank and get $20 before sending another blank.

Personal opinions on the Loomis vs. St. Croix?

Joel

Quote:
Why extend the handle

More leverage for casting and maybe fighting a fish. Extending the length of the rod from the butt end will effectively make it a faster action rod.

I like the Legend eletes. The 7ft ML is nice, but I feel the Loomis IMX's are the better of the two.

They just seem more responsive, and they are lighter. can't go wrong with a HSR 9000 , it's a steelhead light steelhead blank that works great for rigging and slip bobber fishing. That rod is a 7'6". It's classified as a mag light. The guys @ Thorne Bros make a ton of these for the walleye guys.

Give them a call on these two blanks.

There is not that much addt'l weight when extending the handle. The longer rods make using the longer snells on Mille lacs easier to use. You gain more hooksetting power also which is a plus when fishing deeper water.

The warranty on Loomis is I believe 100% coverage if found defective, and will be replaced for a nominal fee if broken otherwise.

just remember that the blank manufacturer will only return a new blank section, you'll still need to have the guides reinstalled (and reel seat, feather inlays, custom handle, etc if you break the rear). Also before sending it in ask them if they will return the old blank section (many won't) and if not if they will ok you removing the guides prior to sending it in. On higher end rods the guides can cost more than the blank does and most of the time you can reuse them if you need to replace a blank section.

Here is your chance to get a nice quality rod at a significantly reduced price. I just did the same with our local hockey assn and the guy got himself an SC V.

If you've only got $250 to work with you may want to sit down with the donator and ask if you can spend the max value in parts or is this a parts and labor deal combined. You'll blow $100 on the wholesale price of a SC V blank alone...If the donator is doing labor pro bono then you will be good to go on one very nice rod.

My previous experience with St Croix warranty has been great! Yes they ask for $20 up front for return shipping, but it does indeed cost almost that much to send one out, so I know they aren't making any money on that transaction. What I had happen was I called St Croix and told them what I had, we agreed that I would send in the broken rod "as is", guides and handle in tact. What I had returned to me was the original rod still in tact, and a new blank to replace the broken one. Exact same blank, just needed to be rebuilt. But now having the original, I could strip the guides off of it and reuse them saving some money, and the only additional cost was a new handle and reel seat. Plus, obviously time in it. But I don't mind, as it give me a reason to build another rod.

I haven't had to deal with Loomis on a snapped rod yet. But if you build at a rod shop they will take care of everything for you, or help you get it ready to send back. I would guess you would take off the guides before shipping.

I have only had to deal with a broken blank once and that was about 20 years ago on a Fenwick HMG fly rod. The type broke and they had me send the whole thing back after removing the guides from the tip section and they sent me a new tip back that was fitted to the butt section of the rod. So all I had to do was replace the guides on the tip. I did have to pay the shipping to them and they paid the shipping back. I am not sure when it started that shipping had to be paid in both directions.

Originally Posted By: CustomRodFan
Here is your chance to get a nice quality rod at a significantly reduced price. I just did the same with our local hockey assn and the guy got himself an SC V.

If you've only got $250 to work with you may want to sit down with the donator and ask if you can spend the max value in parts or is this a parts and labor deal combined. You'll blow $100 on the wholesale price of a SC V blank alone...If the donator is doing labor pro bono then you will be good to go on one very nice rod.

That's exactly why I gave the opposing bidder a staredown at $100 \:\)

Pretty decided on the SC V, now just a question of model!

Joel

What guides? I want the lightest weight, most sensitive possible. Is titanium the way to go? What's a good alternative at a lower price point?

Any other suggestions on making it lighter? I have no idea what experience level this guy has, so I might make suggestions if he's open to them.

How many coats of epoxy? Less thread? Other ideas?

Thanks!

Joel

I did some digging a week or so ago on guide weights. Somewhat surprising. But if you want light, you want the titanium frame(not coated) SiC guides. They are light and they are $$$$$$$$$.

You have already touched on a couple of my favorites. The amount of thread work and tipping on the guides. I start my wraps like 1 turn before the foot and only 3 or 4 wraps of tipping(you still want it to look nice). I do put on 2 thin coats of epoxy but only enough to cover and not have any threads showing through the epoxy. I pay particular attention to those things towards the tip section, where it will affect sensitivity and action of the rod. Close the handle it makes much less difference.

Joel, you need to have a conversation with the builder and find out what you got to work with in terms of either money or product. We can (be more than willing) help you make the best of your buy and maximize the opportunity, but need to know the perameters you have before you.

This could be a very sweet deal for you. Heck, even if you've got to toss in some bucks this would be the most opportune time given the builder is going to produce a product. You got me excited thinking about this possibility.

Do ask to see some of his work beforehand. If you are pleased, that'll help you decide if it worth the whatever it may be to go down the high end road or not?

I was wondering about you over the weekend as I was doing a rod for the Ruffed Grouse Society.

Keep us posted!!!!!!!

I found some interesting info on guide weights and posted it about a week back. The surprising thing was the Hardaloy type were lighter than some of the higher end guides. So it seems if you are after weight reduction, either go with the hardaloy or make the jump all the way to titanium frame SiC, and they are real pricey. But if you have $250 to spend you should be OK, depending on the builders fee anyway.

And truth be told I don't think you will ever wear out the hardaloy guides either.