• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Overdrive question

My gf’s car is a 2001 Hyundai with about 90000 miles on it. She’s had the overdrive turned off since new and never used it. I sat her down and explained to her how overdrive works, when to use it and such but I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to start using it now or is it going to possibly lead to transmission problems. I’ve got this sense that if we start using it now it’ll just lead to problems that weren’t there. I know the basics of overdrive but I’m not sure of the mechanics involved if it’ll even be an issue. I was tempted just to try it this weekend but I’m afraid of what could happen.

Im not familuar with the switch Hyundai uses, but most models use a switch that resets itself and turns od on after the next key cycle. If there is a switch that just shuts it off, then I would check trans fluid, smell it, see if it is burnt or brown, if so I wouldnt mess with it. If not try it, at the price of gas now days it wouldnt take more then a few thousand miles to make up the cost anyway crazy.gif. And if anything is bad with it, it would be a seal or a solenoid, in which just shut it back off.

I would do like 4wanderingeys said. check fluid cond. and level. If needed, replace (flush).

But I would think you should have no concern just starting to switch it on.

I will add this is in, this is the first I have ever heard of this grin.gif.

I have to admit I was a little dumfounded when she told me she never used it. I didn't really want to push the issue though. I suspect this might be the reason most vehicles reset the overdrive everytime you turn it off.

I checked the fluid and it looked decent so I might give it a go one of these nights. Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: airjer
This is exactly the type of question I would expect to hear on Car Talk!

But we are better qualified for answering their technical questions grin.gif

I forget which old Toyota's need you to manually activate the OD, but appears that recent Toyotat's have OD automatically on and you press button to turn it off.

Maybe I remember wrong. But there was an old Mazda (626?) that we had to to turn the OD off otherwise we couldn't go up a hill.