• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Florida Baseball- Beware 13 shots!

Actually the * focus has been used so successfully that the 40D and Mark III now come with that option already in place on the back of the camera called "AF-ON" to enable back button focus. grin.gif

Yeah, tech talk is fun. Not as much fun as just getting out there shooting, but I've been hacking away with this cough due to cold for over a week now, and God only knows if I could hold a camera steady. grin.gif

I've been practicing pretty hard with the * focus over the last few months and may be making a permanent switch. Like I said, going back and forth is a recipe for disaster for me, but I'm to the point now where I can work the * focus with my thumb, spin the top exposure dial with my forefinger and trip the shutter with my middle finger, so all those things can be accomplished without shifting fingers from button to button. May be time to make the move for good.

Guy's gotta keep trying new things or he ends up going backwards, eh? grin.gifgrin.gif

Of course, about the time I can perform most control functions by memory without even looking at the camera it'll be time to get a new camera, which then will have changes/upgrades to the controls. whistle.gif

I have been a die hard * focus guy since switching to Canon, I just don't even think about it anymore. The other down side I remember is a sore thumb from mashing the * button when shooting loooong days, 10 hours of basketball for instance. You never take your thumb off the button! Most folks that give it a chance seem to really like it. I sure like instant focus control, start and stop when you want.

I've been keeping Ken busy with all my dang e-mails. I can't imagine you are picking up too many tips here! Oh and I will switch to the Mark III when they can get it to focus with good accuracy! Seriously I think I will be waiting to the next generation, Nikon has the upper hand in the sports world right now and Canon needs to do better than a Mark IIIN. Can you imagine 25,600 ISO on the D3? Amazing!

Originally Posted By: Dbl
Just to add to Steve I agree the AI Focus is for the most part worthless with most moving objects! Most sports shooters also separate their focus from the shutter button. This is done with most Canon bodies with Custom Function #4 I use option #3 with in that custom function..

Dan and Steve,

I'm home and just going through the settings and learning it..

Not sure if that's the same kind of Custom Function settings on my 40D camera as other canon settings you were refering to?

From what I see on 40D menu, Custom Function #4 which says "FnIV: Operation/Others Shutter button/AF-ON button, clicked on that, then it shows the list..

O: Metering + AF start

1: Metering + AF start/AF stop

2: Metering start/Metering AF start

3: AE lock/Metering + AF start

4: Metering + AF start / disable

Right now I've got it set on "O: Metering + AF start"

When I press the shutter button half way down on a subject like a flower and it focus on center focus, then I hold it down then moving the flower to the corner while I have the other flowers in the background out of focus, while I have a sharp flower focus on the corner of the whole frame. Then I'd press the shutter down all the day to get the picture.

Can you tell me if I got the settings correct?

You know, I always thought it would be nice to be able to lock the AF separately from the AE. Until now, I didn't realze it was possible. I'm going to have to play around with that, next time out. I just set my 30D for AE lock/AF. Now I can set the exposure to a more neutral area and then reposition on the subject while keeping the shutter halfway down, and focus and shoot. I can see where this will work on stationary subjects, but bif's would be a bit tough. A person would really have to be fast. I imagine if a person was out just about everyday, he could get used to it and it would be second nature. It just sounds like much more of a challenge. At my age, that isn't good.

MD, just not sure how it'll work on the 40D controls. They are different than the 30D options. However, check your owner's manual for a full explanation.

It's all in the manual, and even with the advent of all these online forums the owner's manual is still a good way to learn about your camera's features.

When I get a new piece of equipment, I put aside all other reading material and study the manual and work with the equipment until I know what it can and can't do. Doesn't mean I can memorize it all, just that it's a great idea to familiarize one's self with the manual and the equipment. Once you know the layout of the manual you can always come back to it and find your way quickly.

I always go into the field with the manuals to my camera bodies and flashes. Never know when I'll need to use a feature I remember is there but don't remember how to engage.