• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabo in Early November

Xplorer

OK Traveler, Cheffrey and others,

Looks like myself and the Mrs will be heading to CSL the first week of November this year. This is the first time we will be traveling there, having spent most of our past trips in the Carribean.

I am looking for recommendations/advice for both offshore fishing (I've gone thru the archives for the last 2 years and read what's there on charters), as well as accomodation's (both AI and non) that would be on the romantic side since it's our 20th anniversary trip, and general must see/do's while there.

Basically anything that would help me make this a great trip, with one day of fishing thrown in for me (the Mrs doesn't do well on the big water).

Thanks for any help!

Stay away from the dart board! (inside joke)

Chris, we usually take residence at the Hacienda del Mar for our trips, generally pretty secluded beach with a ton less traffic than closer to town. multiple pools, good surf fishing and a good selction to dine from. I have also stayed at the Missiones condos and enjoyed that as well. A bit closer to town.

There is a ton of stuff to do in town, if your a golfer bring your clubs. Some of the greatest courses in MX lie in that area. STAY AWAY FROM TIMESHARE SPEELS! They rarely turn out in your favor when it comes to a good fishing boat, I would recomend that if you do stay out of town, rent a car so you can be mobile. Lover's beach is a less popular snorkel cove, but very good snorkeling. The four wheeler safari's are a blast as well as the dune buggies. If you want a great dinner make reservations at "C" restaurant at the one and only Palmilla, it is top notch, one of Charlie Trotter's lesser known restaurants.

One more thing, do your shopping in town after 5 when the cruise ships leave town, much cheaper.

As for fishing, come see me before you go, I will lend you my salt/surf gear. Offshore, I will only go with Marlin Masters now.

Xplorer; I stay/eat,etc...cheap (and non-romantic:) so I can't help ya there! As far as fishing goes, if I had to pick one time of year to go and have a crack at great striper fishing, it might well be early November. The bite last year was waaaay off the charts, and it's been very good at that time the last several years as the fish migrate down the pacific coast. (Maybe not a true migration, but the bite moves). All your fishing will be on the pacific side at that time, and if you really want to hit it, ask about how the bite is out on the finger bank, about 50 miles up the pacific side. If it's on, find a boat that will go there, pay extra for a longer day if you can, and hold on! Boats sometimes catch double digit #'s of marlin there/then, and hopefully the pattern repeats itdelf this year. Marlin masters is good, as is Redrum, Pisces, El Budster...if you check out any others ask back here before you book. I'd book well in advance (and expect/ask about fishing the finger bank), as the best boats will go fast if the action is hot. I'll be down there fishing a small tournament the first week of October, so I'll have some first hand info for you right before you go:)

Cheffrey and Traveler,

Sorry for the late "Thank You" but just got back from a week in Cozumel with the family.

I had read a bit about the finger bank on the marlin masters HSOforum, sounds like it can be quite the trip!

Now it looks as tho we are considering going to Puerto Vallarta instead of Cabo. Met a nice couple down in Coz who have a timeshare down there that we could use for the week for a very reasonable price. Soooo, add that up with the fact that we spent our honeymoon week in P.V., (which would make spending our 20th there also pretty cool) I may be further south on the coast.

I'm gonna search the site and scour over the charter sites and any Mex saltwater sites I can find and see what i can come up with. Already have made the even exchange with the Mrs.: one day of offshore fishing for one day of shopping in town.

Cheff, still may hit you up for your offshore outfit if there is any decent fishing off the beach in PV!

Thanks again cool.gif

I've done the offshore thing at both locations and would definitely say the fishing in Cabo is much better. Why else would they claim to be the "Marlin Capital of the World"? When we went fishing in PV they didn't really take us out of Banderas Bay very far which kinda got us a little steamed since they said there were bigger fish out 20 miles or so....well take us there! In Cabo there were alot more fishing outfits to deal with, and there seemed to be more species available to target...marlin, dorado, yellowfin, roosters, sailfish, wahoo....etc. Both destinations have the time share stalkers so beware. In PV we also had to deal with the "piratas" that would bug you on the beach to book different activities such as fishing, pwc's, parasailing, etc. Not too trusting so hang onto your money!

Xplorer; Skykings experience is pretty typical of PV fishing. Most of the charters fish in or near the bay, it's a long run to get outside. However, if you're up for it (and can afford it) PV has been the go-to location the last couple years for HUGE yellowfin tuna, we're talking 100, 200, even 300 lbs. Someone nearly broke the world record with a 375 lb. fish last year I believe. There are 2 "rocks" 40 and 50 miles out, Corbetena and El Banco, where the bigtime action is. They also run into some dandy black marlin, and the occasional blue there. It's a long and expensive charter day, but if you can swing it (maybe find someone to share), it's world class stuff. November is also a very good time for it:) Josh Temple is the man there, he calls the cockpit of his boat the "torture chamber" cause those big tuna will put a hurt on ya. Also the Osuna brothers (Marla sportfishing)have a very good reputation. I think they get upwards of 1000/day, and chances are Josh is already pretty booked up, but if you're game, check it out. I'm not sure I'd even bother with the "normal" fishing there, but if your research leads you to something that sounds good, let us know. Did you fish in Cozumel then?

traveler,

In the small amount that I've been able to read thru so far I have decided that a trip out to Roca Corbetena is what I am going to shoot for. El Banco is quite a bit farther (about an hour each way further), and the November reports for both spots seem similar, with there being probably on average a few larger fish at El Banco present. Sounds like a mix of tuna and blues, with good numbers of dorado, and the chance for a black and sails. And since the trip is gonna be over a grand cheaper than what we were looking at for Cabo, I'm gonna consider renting the boat just for myself for the day and do a 10 hour day (anniversary gift for me, from me grin.gif )

Didnt do any fishing in Coz, had the 5 year old with and introduced him to snorkeling and just took it easy!