• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chevy 700r4 tranny swap

anyone have any experience on swapping out trannys on a chevy pickup? looking for some hints and pointers. Wont have access to a tranny jack, will the best way be to drop the drive shaft and then the tranny?

I'd suggest getting a manual and reading up on it first. Should be able to look at one at your library. If you aren't sure how to do it you can screw up the torque convertor, flex plate or worse. It's gonna be real hard without a transmission jack. Them badboys are heavy and they have to lined up just right. You can rent one pretty cheap. Good luck..

OOH, what trans is being switched out for the 700R4? Are you swapping a 700R4 with a 700R4 or upgrading from a 350 or 400? You want the O/D?

O/Hing a 700R4???

We will get you threw this grin.gif..

Ah, simple, shoot.

You can do it on your back. Have you done a Jig saw puzzle before, its just like this? With this you get to take apart the puzzle before you put it back together. Just rasie up as best as you can, disconnect all of the cables/ linkage and wires. Pull the rear drive shaft nuts off of the u-joints on diff., drop down shaft and carefully slide/pull drive shaft out of trans. If dripping occurs, shove a rag in the hole on the trans. Remove trans lower guard sheild and remove T-Q nuts, by spinning the converter and loosening each mounting nut. Once this is done, support trans with jack of sorts on pan (make sure dip stick is out of housing and unattached) and remove bolts on housing. Slide trans straight back, untill the T-Q studs pull out and lower trans.

Replace trans. It better be clean and with clean TQ mad.gif.

Reinstall the same way as taking out. The only trick is getting the trans straight to fly wheel/ring gear holes, spinning the TQ and fly wheel and matching up the rest of the holes.

Badda Bing, Badda bang, 2 hours later on a rookie, it might be done..

Good luck..

2 WD or 4WD? Check hsolist or craigs list for transmission jacks. Renting one is also an option. Unless you are going to pull the engine/tranny through the top with a hoist, you will need a trannny jack.

Unless you are just practicing, replace the torque converter too. Don't forget to fill it with tranny fluid before you install it on the input shaft. Also, buy some 'line cleaner' at your local parts store. You need to clean the tranny cooler and lines...unless you want swap it again. It's also a good idea to replace the u-joints while the drive shaft is out.

This sounds stupid but, heavy metal or rap on the radio will just make you tense and make the job harder. Don't laugh but, the oldies are great for wrenching. Save the heavy stuff for cruising.

TC

I figured "out" the transfer case, but I figure you would see this and make sure the appropriate nuts and bolts would be removed... I still have done a couple of these on my back..

I was thinking of working on a street rod while reading your post. Sorry! I want to upgrade to a 700R4, from my custom 350 turbo. The fuel econ sucks.

Ya, it is a good idea to flush or blow out the tranny lines. If the pre-trans ground up metal, flush the cooler and line, if you plan on keeping the rig.

Good luck...

chickeywing,

I will say for polishing my steert rod, I love the 50's stuff. Rock Around The Clock, gets me prepped/pumped for a car show. “I Couldn’t Sleep At All Last Night” or Elvis sure makes the polishing go quicker.

But rap and heavy metal (in my book) makes repairs go easier.

Good luck..