• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pre-finished fiberboard siding vs painting after install

goose89

I'm considering re-siding our house with LP smartside product. IF we do, am I wise to have it pre-finished at the factory with a high quality paint, or do it myself. Any experiences with other engineered sidings appreciated. thanks in advance.

It's really personal preference. Factory painted is nice and definitely cuts down on the painting part of it, but no matter what, there will be some minor painting that you will probably end up doing. A lot of times your trim boards are not factory painted and you'll have some seems to paint. Also you will have touchups because it's highly unlikely you will get the house done without having some scuffs and scratches here and there. You can get paint to match, but it will most likely weather at a different rate than your factory painted pieces.

If you go with primed, you don't have to be as careful during install, but you will have to spend time painting the whole house. As for paints, Sherwin Williams Duration paints are very good and have an excellent warranty. There are other good brands out there, but I wouldn't recommend you go with anything cheap or even midgrade just to save a few bucks. Also, it will weather evenly because the whole job is done with the same paint.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Originally Posted By: goose89
I'm considering re-siding our house with LP smartside product. IF we do, am I wise to have it pre-finished at the factory with a high quality paint, or do it myself. Any experiences with other engineered sidings appreciated. thanks in advance.

Think I'd go factory paint I believe its painted and baked,I'd also at each cut keep some paint onhand to seal the cut(bare material)while installing.

Either way, keep it painted from day one and keep up on it. Those boards take on water very easy and turn to garbage real quick. Just like masonite, they will perform well and last long if painted properly and often.

I personally feel that LP Smartside has hit a homerun with this new siding. Installed it on my home this winter it was prefinished with the Diamond Kote paint from Wausau. My contractor said he has never seen a finish that hard and durable. The only touchup we are going to have to do is the top board and only because it could not be blind nailed. On a side note..we had a piece that set in water for over a month with two open unpainted edges. Set it in the sun to dry, no swelling, no warping, no nothing. First job my contractor did with this siding, is definetly sold, much better then hardiboard, no comparison to vinyl. You won't be disappointed.

thanks dkruskin,

IF you don't mind and if you're in the Metro, would you be willing to have me take a look at your place. I've seen a few and really like them, but haven't been up close. I understand if you do mind.

Now I'm throwing around the idea of PVC coated steel. I'm not sure how much of a wood look it has though.

Originally Posted By: dkrusin
I personally feel that LP Smartside has hit a homerun with this new siding. Installed it on my home this winter it was prefinished with the Diamond Kote paint from Wausau. My contractor said he has never seen a finish that hard and durable. The only touchup we are going to have to do is the top board and only because it could not be blind nailed. On a side note..we had a piece that set in water for over a month with two open unpainted edges. Set it in the sun to dry, no swelling, no warping, no nothing. First job my contractor did with this siding, is definetly sold, much better then hardiboard, no comparison to vinyl. You won't be disappointed.

Thats great If it is that nice its the third try to produce a board that lasts the first was recalled 8 yrs after production the second try was around for a short time when complaints started.that was company stop production and upgrade now its another NEW material.So its either 3 strikes &Out or they got it right! Only time will tell.And I'm sure contractors are weary to use it expecting what has happened in the past.I had my whole garage replaced for free in 1996 form original recall!

sparce,

I've been weighing the history in my mind also. It's easy for something to look great at the start, but nobody knows how it's gonna hold (for sure). You'd think LP want's to stay away from another huge settlement / recall , again. Thanks for your input.

I was going to post the same sparce. I just wanted to get away from my negative posts.

One test doesn't mean too much IMO, but it's still a consideration.

Some products just don't work here with the steamy summers, wet windy storms, freezing, thawing cycles, etc......

IMO I don't care what they say about how long it will last, they can run test for that but only real time will tell over time.

I would get the prefinished products now because of the warranties and the qualities of the paint product. Most of the prefinished products have a 15 yr paint warranty and I don't think you can do it your self for that.

Jar Jar

goose89: I live in central Iowa, but you would be more then welcome to come over and take a look. I first seen LP smartside in a new housing development in Lake City, MN. After some research, ended up talking to a guy at wausausupply.com (my contractor and local lumber guy never heard of it) he was very helpfull, sent a CD and samples. You cannont buy direct from them, as they are a distributor. If you contact them I'm sure they could hook you up with some local lumber yards that would help you find some houses in you area. Also, for my outside and inside corners I used a product called Komo board, solid PVC with a woodgrain finish and painted with diamond kote, outside corner has no seam, very clean looking. Hope this helps. roofer..put on decra shingles, have you ever used them.