• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Furnace air intake line.

The Grebe

POPS,

Let me see if I got this right. You want him to tie his combustion supply line into the cold air return of the furnace? The furnace will pull return from the least area of resistance, and Im guessing that a 6 inch line, 9 feet long going out thru the rim joist is going to be the path of least resistance, as far as the furnace is concerned.

I've tied hundreds of make up air kits to return plenums, but only for air tight homes with central mechanical ventilation systems. Even then, the make up air kit has a Constant Airflow Regulater (CAR) inline, to restrict the amount of air the furnace can pull in in order to maintain a slight negative pressure when coupled with the mechanical ventilation system.

If he does what you say he should do, then the unregulated air being pulled into the house when the furnace would run, would make the system extremely inefficient, dry the house down immensely, plus it would also severely pressurize the house, which you definitely dont want in a heating climate.

Other than that, I agree with what you are saying about manually/seasonally regulating the vents.

Sorry to hijack the thread

Osakis Thanks for the info. I had a great time fishing there.

Also got my first. First hand experience with racial bigotry there. (sad story)

I think the word is TIMESHARE

Thanks

I have the same 6" line coming into my home by the furn/water heater. On windy days (I think wind has to coming from a certain direction), the water heater blows out. What would cause that??

Originally Posted By: Wallabee
I have the same 6" line coming into my home by the furn/water heater. On windy days (I think wind has to coming from a certain direction), the water heater blows out. What would cause that??

thats where the 5 gal bucket comes in handy.