• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer tongue weight

cray

I just bought a new trailer and I am still working on the final adjustments. The manufacturer suggests a toungue weight at 5-7% of total weight. Mine is at 8.5% empty. Do I have a problem?

I would think a lot would depend on how you load your trailer when traveling. Sometime putting batteries, coolers, and other heavy equipment towards the back will lower the percentage to an acceptable number

It's better to have a little extra tongue weight than not enough. To light and the trailer will fishtail all over the road.

The tongue weght empty doesn't matter. When you load the boat on the trailer the motor will be behind the axle and lower the tongue weight %. Location of your batteries can make a big difference too.

I played with mine for awhile by moveing the axle forward1 solution. The weight is therebut not as much. Big thing is if I am in the back of the boat and try bouncing it the tougne just about wants to come up. Some people say it should not be over 150# I wont bet on it. Good luck.

Is the total weight used in the calculation just the hull/motor/batts, and not the trailer too (total rig weight)?

I'd assume so, mine is about 5.6% based on a hull/motor/batt of around 1800 and tongue weight of about 100. Little higher % with some gear in there on a trip. My rig pulls like a dream......

Agreed, Id error on a little more tongue weight than less, depending on the tow vehicle of course.

Just don't forget a transom saver bar......worth every penny and will help balance the load out.