• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have been doing some research...

And I think I know what my first custom rod is going to be. I want to build a bobber rod that will serve for early season panfish and walleye slippin. I am looking at a St. Croix blank 7'-6" ML F action and putting middle of the road guides on it, as the sensitivity is not the most important part of this particular type of rod for me. The float is there for detecting bites. Would you guys suggest a tennessee type handle or a reel seat style handle for something like this?

I plan to run a small to medium sized spinning reel on it, probably a Sedona 750. It will be spooled with 4 lb mono most likely.

If you are looking for a early season rod the Tennessee handle is nice cuz it tends to be more comfortable when it is cold. That and you can move the real around until it balances unlike a reel seat rod. Some folks just don't like not having a reel seat.

Are you talking about the little graphite reel seat rings? If so, I just cut them off a couple ice rods cause I can't stand them. No matter what I do, they always seem to come loose on me. I just like the piece of mind I get with a couple good rounds of electical tape, after some masking of course. Haven't had a problem with flexing or anything like that.

That was what I was getting at. If someone is unsure, they can put them on and if they aren't what ya want they are easy to cut off. Sounds like you already know what you do and don't want.

I've done a TN grip with the graphite material. Originally it was just made and used for arbors but you can get it and make a grip now. Makes a sensitive grip!! Can't remember the retail name but you'll find it at most suppliers. I think I may have an email from an old friend on how he did his version. I'll look and if you send me your email, I'll fwd it, if I still have it. Pretty simple though.

[YouNeedAuthorization]@yahoo.com

Midstream Custom Rods.

Tom, the TN handle concept is commonly used to increase sensitivity by way of so called feeling the "vibes" that much faster. If you are bobbering, I'd be thinking reel seat.

BTW, good choice on the med light and fast action. I love that set up for both shallow water jigging and crappie style set ups. You will like it!

Tom,

another idea for you to think about or look at; the casting bubble. It's a good combo with the rod your talking about, take it off to jig. It's a float that you can add ballast weight to(shot or water) and then add a long leader. Lets you cast a long way, use dry flies, live bait such as crickets and such, but present without spooking fish. Float hits the water a good ways off from your bait or lure. Some call it a float and fly. A nice casting spinning reel and you'll have a great combo. Even built these on a 3/4wt fly blank.

CRF is right as to why most go to a TN handle. I just like the feels more than anything else. Best of luck

Go G. Loomis HSR 9000 no doubt!!!!! You can use this as a rigging rod on the pond up to a half oz. before the tip loads up. I've used this rod for years. It's one of my favorite.

I use this for panfish also. Ask Pat or Matt He'll tell you the 9000 is hard to beat . Remember they spoke highly of it at their seminar. grin.gif

You can go GL3 and save a little money over an IMX (if money is an issue). If your'e going to build a rod, you might as well get "more bang for the buck" with all these multiple applications. You'll be glad you did grin.gif