• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thread color & color Preserver?

I just finished a Chicago Bears themed rod. Used a cobalt blue blank, blue rubberized cork grip, and wrapped the guides with orange trimmed in white. Actually looks pretty good. I will post pictures when I get home.

The orange and white with color preserver really pops out.

Red trimmed with silver metallic with CP also shows up well and so does green trimmed with gold. Pictures when I figure out how.

ButtWrapDkGrGold3.jpg

Pick up some broken rods or very cheap blanks (the ice rod bucket at TB's is good) and make yourself some samples. I like rather colorful wraps and often use metalic threads for wraps and accents. I'm partial to red hues with contrasting accent wraps in metalics (bronze, gold, etc) or some of the lighter regular threads. For any light color thread I use color preserver otherwise they will go translucent. When I pick up a new spool I make a few wraps on my sample blanks (I have a few different color sample blanks) and add color preserver to one and leave the other one alone. When dry I add a bit of finish. Eventually you'll have enough samples where you can make a good decision as to what thread to use. Also, if you're building on a color blank that you haven't used before you can always make some samples on the butt section. When you add your handle your samples will be all covered.

If you build your rod at a shop, almost all of them have samples of thread on different color blanks. I know Thorne Bros does.

Takes some of the guess work out of it. I don't use color preserver on charcoal or the blue blanks that St. CDroix has.

Since I am new to the rod building, actually, still haven't popped my [Please-read-forum-policy] cherry. Does color preserver make the color of the thread wrap pop out and be more vibrant, or is it something that keeps the color of the thread as it is exposed to the UV light of a hot summer sun? I am thinking when I build a rod, I want to go with charcoal main wrap and a dark blue metallic accent.

I looked around at prices of components online today and am looking forward to getting into it. Just have to find the time and money to get it done.

Color preserver will keep the color as it appears on the spool. If you don't use it, it "bleeds" meaning it gets dark and rich color. Look @ Thorne's next time you go.

There are alot of options when building on a charcoal (G. Loomis) rod. There is a blue wrap w/ silver metallic or gold. Burgundy w silver or gold metallic. I'm not a fan using black. Just me. Green with gold metallic looks nice also.

Of course there are alot more to choose from.

What happens without color preserver is the wraps/thread becomes somewhat translucent when you put the thread epoxy on and allows the color of the blank(or whatever you wrapped over) to start show through the thread. There are some folks who wrap only with black so they don't have to use color preserver.

But on the other hand if you want to play around a little you can try an under wrap of a bright color and let the 2 somewhat bleed together. It has a very cool affect. I have not done that myself but I have seen photos out there where people did and it did look neat.