• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One More Rod

HugoBox

Please bear with me for asking the same question that 100 guys before me have asked as I know this comes up all the time. I'm finding this is sorta like fantasy football though, everyone's lineup is a bit different so I'm going to ask for help.

I'll skip adding the rod MFGRs name as I'm not looking for a Chevy/Ford debate. That said, I really was impressed with what Ketih had at the show.

I currently have:

6'-2" - Heavy (it sits empty a lot)

6'-6" - Med/Heavy (topwaters)

6'-9" - Heavy (jerkbaits)

8'-0" - Med/Heavy (bucktails)

I don't like the short rod (but it was my first). I often don't distinguish much between the to 6-6 and 6-9 and the 8 footer has been fine with the DC-10s and DCGs. I do think a heavier rod would be nice for the newer and bigger bucktails as well as big cranks and big plastics. I'd like it to be versitile enough so its not limited to the monsters though.

If you had one lenght/action to add what would it be?

Sorry for the rambling question but these are the things that keep me awake at night!!:)

How much to you consider the Lure Weight part of the spec?

thanks - erik

I think most people seem to be leaning toward 8'6" and 9' H or MH these days. You also don't have a 7'6", which was once the standard. My first 8'6" was a Lamiglas Heavy and I don't like it much at all, made me feel significantly more tired throwing DCGs than my 6'10" Heavy Fig Rig. When I was with Chad Cain a couple weeks ago, I used an 8' Diamondback/Thorne Bros Custom and it was very nice and light. So now I see what people like about the longer rods, as long as they're light like that one was. I am sure Cjac will tell you to go for some longer ones and now I think I agree with him (which kinda sucks for me, since that means I need to buy some more \:\)

I guess I was fortunate to have grabbed a 9'0 and a 8'6 MH by Reaction Strike at the Expo... along with having ordered 2 8'6 Edge rods from KT Pro Edge... If you're looking to save money then I would suggest that you try to find a Reaction Strike rod... Pretty much they are exactly the same as MI Bulldawg rods... just different label... and about $60-$80 cheaper... if you're trying to look for a new all-around rod, regardless the cost, then talk with Keith... He'll put u on either Edge blank or a Diamondback blank... Keep in mind that if you order an Edge series, you probably wont get your rod til after June as Keith did mention that hes sold out on Edge blanks til June-July... I honestly dont know what I will be doing with my 7'0 Grandt EH and 7'6 Fish Eagle II MH rods....

I was in the same shoe as you before the Expo... Many would suggest that you vary the action of the rod... I wouldnt want to have too many of one action and none of the other action...

Well, I guess I got called out there!

I do like the longer rods for several reasons. Better casting distance, but the benefits for me are more in having more rod length to keep a load applied and pressure on the fish and better figure 8s.

Casting distance: If fish are shallow, a longer rod can put the lure in there while your boat isn't. Less chance of spooking fish off. Pretty simple concept really.

Rod load: I lost a few too many fish when I had the 6'9" Croix for jerkbaits and topwaters. With today's braided line and basically no stretch, the margin for error is greater. I pulled topwaters away from or right out of a fish's mouth. Partly due to my own "operator error" in going too quickly on sight and not feel, but also just because I flat out yanked it out of the mouth.

Figure 8s: Longer rod makes it easier to do bigger, deeper, and faster 8s. Also more room for a trigger move, like a deep dive on a straight away, or a wide, fast turn to trigger. The bigger 8 can bring back a fish that may have bailed out a few extra feet away. Going to work on the "button hook" turn KT taught me last summer. It's a tight turn on a fish going round and the idea is to turn the lure right back into the face of the fish and make it hit it essentially out of instinct.

My latest addition is a 9' in a Med action. Looking to vary things a bit and encorporate more presentations than just the big stuff. Add a little more speed too.

My advice if you're on the fence about going longer is to wait 'til the season starts, meet up with someone and borrow a longer rod for an evening. A new rod isn't going to do anything for you right now!

Let me say it is all about preference.

But I have never built a stick for somebody that said "boy I wish I would have got a shorter one."

Lots of upside to a longer stick and they are mentioned above.

cjac sounds like he was listening in my booth all weekend. I am sure I sounded like a broken record.

Im starting to suspect that Chris has a built-in recorder, one that he plays back to his leisure while hes asleep or when hes resting up his back... or when hes replying to a post here on a specific topic... The details he remembers are amazing... the knowledge he picks up is second to none...

Quote:
cjac sounds like he was listening in my booth all weekend. I am sure I sounded like a broken record.

I may have bent an ear into a conversation or two....or seven....

Bottom line is I've learned enough to listen to those that know more than me, lots more..... Keith hands down knows his stuff, and it's filtered down from some of the best in the fishing business, so darn right, I listen.

On top of that, it's what I've experienced too, through success and unfortunately failures too. Good stuff indeed, and awesome rods.....check them out.

preference and need for me. i loved my 7' 6'' rods and swore by them for years. then i saw this rod that was 7' 2''s MH/F (medium heavy fast action) and bought it. do most of my fishing with them now. i noticed when i was in my boat i could keep my rod tip right at the waters surface and have the angle i like best without leaning back or forward. 6'3'' jigging rod for the same reason. just more comforable. it does make fishing all day less fatiguing.(is that a word?). just something to think about. when i shore fish i like an 8'0''er for longer casts and better straight line hooksets. far as figure 8's i don't know since i stopped doing them after i ripped the side out of about a 35'' northern that missed the lure and got the hook in the fin. i had a chunk of fish and fin and the fish disappeared. i'm sure it died. still have a 100% swimmer on release of musky and i don't want to lose that stat. i pull it forward or walk around the boat. but i'm rambleing. good luck