• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishermans journal

eyebjim

I was going to stop at gander on my way home and pick up that jornal. I ended up missing my exit and with the price of gas I figured I would stop tomorrow instead of turning around at the next exit. I got home and decided I would search high and low for the lost journal. Well I have a big mess now but I found it. I'm really glad I looked for it. I had some good fishing outings logged in the journal that brought me back about 7 years. Lots of great memories and a freind I should get in touch with that I havent talked to in about 5 years. I had only recorded from december of 2000 to the end of may 2001 in the journal before I lost it. I will be continuing the journal with a seven year gap. Too bad I fished a lot over that 7 years. I figure I can use this to record on the water and use the computer journal Sandmannd sent me for compiling it to digital form. Anyway thanks to all that posted.

I keep a log in a little notepad, $1 at the store. At the end of the year I will log all this info into a exel database on my computer. I dont keep too many details, date, time fished, weather, location, and fish caught. It is amazing how many different statistics and charts can be made with just this little bit of information.

I've been running a log since 1972, that makes me old doesn't it? Anyway I can look back 35 years and see who I fished with, what lake and what we caught and I can remember it perfectly. Too bad I can't remember where I put my car keys last night.

I tried to design a simple Access database to record this very information a few years ago. I quickly realized that just entering my own data was not going to give a clear indication of what was truly happening unless I had years and years worth of data. Then also realized that might not even tell the full story because I can only try so many lures/tactics per outing. If we had something where a large # of anglers were able to input their info I think we could build a fairly good database to try to target what is working when and where. Obviously not a guarantee to catch fish, but just maybe something to indicate what has worked in the past in similar conditions to narrow the scope a little. Being an avid fisherman myself I know that we as a species are not willing to openly give out our location, lures, bait, etc...myself included. So I figured it probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort. Also there are so many variables when you start talking species, presentation, water temp, barometric pressure, weather, depth, structure, time of year etc.... not to mention things vary from body of water which could throw a curve before things even start. So needless to say I gave up & thought to myself just go fish and try to learn something new every trip. My question is what do all the FM'ers out there think? Would you want and be willing to share this kind of info? I am not suggesting even mentioning which lake you are on, just mentioning what is or is not working for you on your trips out on the water, and mentioning the conditions you fished in? Although I think ideally to do this right would be best to try to target a lake or lakes of similar structure just to have a "controlled" experiment.

With all of that being said, does anyone think it would be worth trying to put something like this together? If so, what would you consider the main variables to take into account? Obviously lure/bait, weather, structure, depth, wind, water temp, barometer are just a few things that come to mind. I just don't want to get to the point that there are too many things to input so that it becomes a chore....

My thought is something like this... I wake up, wind is out of the NW, the barometer is steady, the lake has clear water, and the water temp is 55 degrees. What have other people used in similar conditions and had success? I type in those conditions and it recommends... Jigs and minnows, or slow trolling cranks or whatever...

I just think that with a great HSOforum like FM we could put something together that may help all of us be a better fisherman. Maybe call it the FM'ers Fishing Journal...

If I get enough positive feedback I would be willing to put something together just to try it out. If not, no biggie I will just stay with the tried and true... Winds out of the east the fish bite the least...