• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappie help.

whitetailfreak

Try a small jigging spoon. remove the treble hook and put on a single hook with wax worms. drop it down to just above them and start jigging. when they start to come up for it make them chase it up a few feet. if they come up for it they are more likely to take it. you can also try dropping it down slowly through the school but then it is harder to see the bite.

Were you fishing at night? What was your pimple setup what was working for you - glow, size, single/treble hook, baited with minnow/minnow head/waxie/etc??

One of my go to crappie setups is a red glow genz bug with a glow little atom nuggie (make sure it is charged before dropping). Jig it about 2 feet above them, when they start coming up I start bringing it up to make them chase then pause. If that is not working, I will drop a small glow demon tipped with a waxie or euros. Usually have two rods with these two setups, and a third with a clip that I can easily change out various lures - like a spoon/rap/#3 cubby. Saves valuable time not having to retie something different during that short window the Crappies are coming in. When action slows/stops on one setup, having these others are ready to go is a big help.

Thanks!

When the bite sours, most people go to one extreme.. micro lures.. But in reality, I see the opposite a lot of times.. Bigger is better.. Or upsizing I should say.. When crappie hunting, I usually have three dimensions covered with rods.. A downsized approach, usually a #12 or smaller jig. A traditional approach, usually a #8 jig or 1/16 ounce spoon. similar sized jig. And the upsized approach, usually a minnow imitator, such as a Chubby Darter or Jigging Rap..

And as we enter the late ice period, now, the upsized approach usually does the trick on fish that seem to have nothing to do with a traditional approach. More bang for the buck during the feed bag time of late ice..

white mr twister tipped with a head never fails, jig way up and let flutter down. Another red lake killer is a pinkish glow demon with a minnow. the Smaller lakes in southern minnesota will not apply to this. Small tear drop hooks with a waxie.

I have had some 2" glow & shad Berkley Realistix minnows sitting in my tackle box for 2 years. I'll have to give them a try. Hopefully it will attracked some bigger crappies.

Anyone using these, do you recommend using plain, or tipping with live bait (minnows vs waxies)?