• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wide Glide Harley

bassNspear

I like the Wide Glide quite a bit, I used to want one quite a bit until my wife got on the back of a friends with me and it just didn't fit us right. Now let me tell you that my wife is 6'1" so gettting a bike that she feels comfortable on is tough we actually will have to slide up to a touring bike and my only personal thoughts there would be the Road King. But I have a few years before I am going to get another bike, my kids are still young enough that they wouldn't be able to really enjoy it so I will hold off for a few more years.

My friends who have Wide Glides really like them though. I personally think they look great with big tall hangers on them.

As far as a bike they are a Harley. . frame, engine,etc. characteristics will be like most harleys, if thats what you like. the wide glide is just a set of wider front forks, really all a matter of if you like the look better. It wont be as comfortable for touring or 2 up as a king, flh etc. but will be lighter and more nimble too. depends on what you want to do with it, my wife would ride on the back of my flht just fine but wont go now that I've got the soft tail, which is sort of a drag because I like her to go with me sometimes but dont want to give up the lighter fun feel of it.

I wouldnt hesitate at all if YOU like it and its set for what you want to do with it,thats really all that matters.... this might help, I'm not saying that any bike is better than the other but Ive never met a guy that was sorry he bought a Harley, cant say that about all of em.

Originally Posted By: Iron Cowboy
As far as a bike they are a standard Harley softail. frame, engine,etc. characteristics will be like most harleys softails,

Hmmm....

A wide glide, as in Dyna Wide Glide ?

A Dyna Wide Glide has a dyna frame.

Meaning a swing arm frame.

No soft tail.

Older wide glides have a swing arm frame also.

1984 Wide Glide was the last year of shovel head, 4 speed trans. w/kick start.

Some 1984 wide glides had an evo motor, 4 speed trans., kicker w/electric start (collector item)

oops, Sorry about that, your right uncle bill for some reason when I pictured a wide glide I was thinking of a standard soft tail....maybe cause of those skinny damm tires in the front. yea on second thought dont get it man those shocks sticking out in back are fugly grin.gif

ya im looking at getting one, Im looking at a 2006 model. Just wanted to get a feel for what you guys thought of the bike. I know there is alot of different bikes out there, but thought this one might be the best fit for myself.

What other bikes are out there that are like the wide glide.

I have an 05 Wide Glide and love it. It's a fun bike to ride and handles very well. I wouldn't recomend it if you plan on riding with a passenger unless your passenger is petite. My wife is 5'10" and I'm 6'5" and we don't fit very well on the bike together on long rides. We've ridden a lot of shorter rides and it's a fun bike. however I have to compromise and get what i call a "geezer glide" an Ultra Classic. I love riding my Wide Glide alone to and from work and just but i want to be able to take longer tours with the wife.

The only thing about the Dyna wide glide that I don't like is that when shopping for accessories almost everything i found that I would have like to buy stated something like; For all Dyna models except FXDWG. For some reason stuff that fits on other bikes will not fit on a wide glide.

that being said, it's a nice, snappy, powerful bike that handles well and is fun to ride.