• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catching Bass Through the Ice!

EyeSkater

It took some faith, as well as trial & error...but I caught a limit of largemouth yesterday. The ice is getting thin and soft where I live, but that just contributes to better fishing I think. Here's how to do it:

I took a 3" Heddon Jitterbug and modified it. Firetiger is the best pattern. Carefully remove the cupped lip and then replace the screws. Use a dab of silicone to seal the screws. Next, find a couple craft sticks (like popsicle sticks) and shorten them to 3" each, and round off one end. Mix some 5 minute epoxy and use it to attach the 3" sticks to the belly of the Jitterbug. It sounds funny, but the sticks will look like skis when correctly attached. The trebles will hang between the sticks.

How to fish it: I prefer a modified 5' stiff baitcasting outfit, but a similar spinning rod would work okay too. You'll need an 18" stainless leader ahead of the bait. Cast the bait out on the ice (yes!) and let it set. Be sure it is "on" the skis and not its back; twitch it until correctly aligned. When ready, just speed-crank it across the ice. It will slalom ski almost effortlessly. Small bass won't mess with it, but bigger bass will chase it and actually break through the ice to get it. The strikes are phenomenal!

Tonight I'm working on a 14" jointed Pikie for northerns.

Go get 'em!!

'Eye-Skater

Nothing new, been doin it for years, I got rid of the skis and just use corn, covering the barb, they hit a lot harder and you can see the dorsal fins from bout a hundred yards off.

I thought I had the secret, well, back to the drawing board. Tonight I'm working on a spiral cut ham magnet.

hit em hard

Brent

Give ya a little taste for the summer:

LC4I1z1FpncYctpNGgRtqbSUK6hsrCPf0300.jpg

My nephew with a 4lber threw the ice two weekend’s ago (at the FM kids event). Biggest bass threw the ice I have seen, personally.

Thing is, most of them that were there will talk about it for years. And that was kinda the intent, what a memory that will be, good times. We will be out there again next year. Not quite as many hot dogs though. We're bringin some up to LOTW with us this weekend.

You have mail.

I figure I would be polite and only take one, so everyone could have a “dog”. I figure most F.M.er’s thought his also. Next year I will take three grin.gif.

They where good though, better than the Dome.