• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for Backwater Eddy

iffwalleyes

Scheels had it in bulk the last time I was in. They spoke of getting the new Ice Version of Power Pro in soon too. I'm not sure if it is in yet or not? They had 8/1 and 15/4 in stock.

Fleet Farm may have it in now too? I believe I seen the 8/1 there as well.

Here is a Tip that will save you some $$ over time.

If your ice reels are deep spools and you do not need high yardage, try this. Fill the reel spools first 1/2 way up with good quality electrical tape or Tommy Tape. Check the depth of the spool and mark it with a pen, then add the tape to the desired depth.
1001b-1.jpg
This lessens the yardage needed and the superbraid will not slip on it. A single or double cinch knot works well on the tape backing. Here is a slightly better knot for Baitcasting and spinning reels that is handy to know.
KnotsBackingtoReel.gif
Mono backing works too but tape holds no water/ice below the superbraid. That limits complications later on in the cold and increases drying time of equipment after an outing.

Bulk Power Pro is 10 cents a yard. So for most ice needs 75 yards will do just fine on a jigging rod. A 150 yard pony spool should service 2 reels easily this way.

I hope this helps you out IFFWalleyes.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-17-2003).]

Since you think I'm so smart and on a roll I'll share another Cheap Guy tip.

After a bit of use on that new superbraid it will show some slight wear, any braid will. This is time to do the Cheap Guy back-spool trick.

Grab another reel in need of line and tie the used end off to the empty spool. Then wind it off filling the new spool and emptying the used reel spool. Do this again with the others you have some use on.

Most of the wear is on the first 20 yards or so on that old spool, so everything under that is like new. By reversing the wrap you get new line to work with again. After that end gets ratty, dump it all and spool up new.

You may get 2 seasons of ice fishing from that same initial spooling of superbraid this way. That all depends on how hard it get used I guess? Still it doubles you value in the end and makes that 10 cent a yard more of a 5 cent a yard fill. wink.gif

Ya see..I'm not really smart...I'm just a Cheap *** Swede is all.

grin.gif

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Hey Cheap A**! I've been doing that little trick for a bit too. However, I find that I'm not smart enough to remember which rods have had the line reversed and which ones haven't. A quick look would tell me, but I've already bought new line by then (can't let new line sit- might spoil grin.gif).

I'm sick of talking and want to fish! I'm finally ready to say, "Bring on the ice!"
Scoot