• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkley Tournament Culling System

katoguy

I have been using (partner bought) the Xtools culling scale for the last 2-3 years. I find it very flaky. It gives different readings everytime I weigh the same fish. The clips do not hold. (We ended up cutting off the plastic clips and use a "punch through the lip" clip that I am not a fan of.) Also, it seems to flip between the modes so sometimes we have to reweigh our entire catch.

Has any tourney angler here used teh Berkley system? Accuracy? Ease to reset? How are the clips?

The Xtool version used to be $120, now down to $100. The Berkley version sells for $40, but less on sale.

Thanks.

I have it and use it...I have had a couple of times where my total weight from the actual weigh scale was within an oz or 2.. .and thats after 5 fish... It tells you which fish to cull I have not had a problem with the clips coming out, and they dont punch a hole in the fishs lip, which I really like.

Of all the scales I have used, I like the new berk one the best.. and its accurate to within like 1/2 oz or somethinglike that.

I was sceptical at first as its not too expensive.. I think I got mine for about $25 on sale at Gander... But I put a fish in my live well and weighed it 4 times throughout 1 day and it gave me the exact same reading or only 1/2 oz either way each time.

I would agree that the scale works very well. Also the clips on the markers work good too. Figuring out how to store each fish by each color takes a little time to figure out but it does work. I also made a laminated sheet so I could just write down each respective fish. Good fishing.

C&E

I use the bass tags from bag-em (http://www.bag-em.com/) and have been very happy with them. Small metal clips that you can clip on / around the upper lip. Rarely fall off in the well and very easy on the fish. Color coded and I keep track of weights on the board. I haven't went to a scale that keeps my best five as it just seems like too much of a hassle to deal with.

Weigh my fish, if bigger than the last, swap out clip, cull smaller fish, re write weight. Maybe 90 seconds max to do all this.

So I just use a normal Berkely scale. It's not extremely accurate when compared to my final weight at the scals, but it does weigh consitent amongst fish, which is all that really matters to me.

My last Berkely scale scared me. My total creel from culling that day added up to 17.5 lbs. I weighed in and had 19.25. Maybe it was consistent, but was far enough off that it made me lose faith, so I bought a new scale last year.

Deitz

When you are talking the new Berkley culling system are you talking about the new one with the red grippy handle?? I think this comes with the culling system and you still need to mark down the fish on a chart right??

So over all which one would you go with, the ole culling system which saves all your stuff or the manual chart and weigh deal??

ALL-IN

I was asking about the new Berkley TEC, it comes as a scale and then as a culling system... something like 69.00bucks at basspro.

Basically is the Berkley TEC, worth the money or stay with the other one.

ALL-IN

I think culling, at least once you have a limit in the live well, is against the law in Minnesota.

"Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or live-well sorting is allowed."

del- You are right, hence why all bass tournaments in MN have a bass limit of 5 fish not the state limit of 6... it allows for this rule.

I actually fish in more team formats which have a rule of 5 or 8 fish for 2 guys... which is way below the 12 fish limit.