• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

07 brute 750

bowhunterrj

I purchased a 07 750 about 6 months agoand have a couple questions for ya guys. I am looking at purchasing different tires what would be a good all around tire for me. I was also wondering Roofer is your bike snorkeled or have you had any trouble with water in airbox cause by your pic it looks like you like water. Would anyone be interested in helping a guy snork a bike I live in Alexandria Mn Thanks fo the help

I just moved from Alex a year ago! \:D If you like water I would definetly snokel it. I did my 660 grizzly myself and it wasnt too bad. I would go to the forums at Highlifter and look there, there will be plenty of people in the Kawi section that will help you out with that. Just remember in MN your snorkels can only be 6" above factory. Im sure Roofer will have some input on your questions but I will let him speak for himself.

bowhunterrj,

welcome to the ATV forums. There's several here that can help you out.

For an all around tire on your Brute, I would personally suggest a radial such as either the ITP ATR or the Terracross. They might not last as long as other tires, but will give you good all around traction and maintain the smooth ride of your IRS. I've seen the ITP XTR Mudlites in action on a Can Am 800 Outlander and I can honestly say that I wasn't overly impressed with them in the mud.

If you're more into doing a little mudding, then something along the lines of the ITP 589 MS, AMS Swamp Fox Plus, GBC Mudhogs, and Bighorns are some tires worth looking into.

The bottom line is what will give you the best performance for your #1 usage? But I would definitely suggest nothing less than a 6 ply tire.

Radials will typically give you a larger contact patch and maintain that area because they have a flatter profile. This is also a plus with the IRS machines since they are more prone to tire scrub.

Bias ply tires will have a rounded profile when inflated, can cause you to slide a little more, and have a stiffer sidewall causing a rougher ride.

To elaborate more on the tire scrub issue with IRS, tire scrub is when your tires are pushed slightly outward and back in with the natural up/down travel of the rear suspension on IRS machines (except Can Am). This causes a slight loss of traction. This normally wouldn't be noticed by the average rider in average riding conditions.

The best example to help understand this is to imagine your shoulder is the pivot point of your A-Arms. With your hand at your side and you raise your arm, your hand goes out as it's going up until you surpass the point of your arm being parallel with your shoulder. Now your hand will start to come back in as you complete the upper end of the travel. This inward/outward motion of your tires is what is referred to as tire scrub.

You may have already known this, but it hopefully helps others understand the workings of IRS a little more.

Roofer can give you more specifics on the workings of the Brute. But if you're interested in adding a snorkel kit, be sure to check out the MN regs for snorkel's.

Dozer has a nice "legal" grin.gif snorkel set up on his Grizz.

Welcome to the forum. Finally another Kawi guy.. grin.gif

If you want to go deep over the seat, the brute needs snorkels. Mine is stock, but I make sure I keep the front end up which is easy the way the brute is set up and the power at hand. The pic that is shown, that day I got water in the bottom of the air box when I went in over the front rack in water. Very luckily I only got the belt wet and just drained it. Everything is "snorkeled" to the air box stock, except the carb vent lines, which are in front of the air box inlet below the handlebars. I chose not to snorkel and stay out of the real deep water mainly because I don't want to mess with the jetting and because my machine runs so well the way it is. It is the best machine I have had so far when it comes to how well it runs. I also didn't want to cut the plastic.

Tires....... It really depends on what you are going to do. Besides my Dyna cdi, tires and wheels are the best mod for the brute. It gives you a much better stance with the offset wheels, and the 6 ply tires get rid of the stock tire roll the 2 ply's have.

I have read all the forums and about most of the brute mods for the past couple years. Any questions, just post them up or email me [email protected]

One other thing to suggest is skid plates. A-arm guards for sure. Most of the newer machines, especially the brute, outty, and kingquad have wide open areas around the boots of the shafts front and rear. That was the first thing I bought for mine. I was worried about branches getting in there and tearing the boots. Branches on the trail get caught on IRS machines quite often and most people don't realize.

Have fun with it and keep the tires under you. eek.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for the input. As for tires I was leaning towards the new zillas or the good old mud bugs. Lots of ice fishing in the winter and some good old muddy swamp in the deer woods. Which one of these two would be better.I can get a complete skid set of hsolist for around 300 that doesn't seem to bad.I installed a moose module on the bike last week can notice a little difference on the low end.

Both are similar in their capabilities. Mud Bugs may be hard to find as they are being dwindled out for the mud bug radial. Both are said to be light weight. The 28" zillas are 14" rim only, just an FYI.

If it was me with those choices, I would try the new zillas unless I could get a real good deal on some mud bugs.

Sounds like a good price on the skids. You'll be happy you have the moose module with bigger tires.

I havent seen the Zillas in action so I cant comment on them but I have 26" Mudbugs on my Grizzly. I really like them and would recomend them. Only downfalls are they are kinda hard on the lawn and they arnt the greatest on the ice. They last pretty well, I have 2500 miles on mine and they are probly about %90. I am planing on buying a set of 28"X12" this summer. There are alot of rummors about them being discontinued in favor of the Zillas but I have also read posts stating that they just had some delays with reworking the molds for them and they are still being produced and will be back in supply soon.

I think the Zilla's will be a rougher ride than the Mudbugs, Zilla's are more of a mud tire. Mudbugs, GBC Gators, Mudhogs, or Goodyear Mudrunners are a better all around tire. I've also heard good reviews on Mud Machine Bi-Tri Claws.

I think he is talking about the new zillas not mudzillas. The new zillas are a very light tire that is made for multi purpose.

I guess the images don't work. All of them are on maxxis HSOforum.