• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which npole to buy

The_King48

I agree, King, for my trolling rods I use 7 footers, with line counters. gets you outside the boat further, (may be my supersticion) and gives you tougher backbone, unlike Northlander though I go Medium Heavy on my trollers. My jigging poles and casting poles range from 6' jiggers ml to 6.6' m's... It really is your preference. All I usually pull are number 5 shads.

I am moving to longer rods all the way from jigging rods to trolling. I would never buy less then 6'6" and am moving to more of the 7' variety. I would say 7'-8' medium with a medium tip. Don't get an extra fast or fast tip because snags, or tangles can snap the rod while trolling shads.

Rodmaker, I am buying a 7'2" Shimano Crucial for Bobber/back up lindy rig. I was thinking about the G. Loomis, but I need a new reel too and that won't happend without save a bit of money on the rod. The little guys daycare is taking up all my money. I need to move to the country.

Rodmaker, you fix/make rods don't you? I have a St. Croix Premier 6'6" baitcasting rig that I broke off about 5 inches on top. St. Croix won't take it back due to it being 6 years old, but I don't want to trash it....any suggestions?

I build rods, but depending on what the action is, you may be able to take the guides off and re-tie.

You would be best off talking to Lonnie @ Thorne Bros. Give him a call and he could tell you over the phone if the rod can be salvaged.

If it is fairly clean you can find a junker rod and cut a sleeve to go over the broken section and glue it in place. I did with two rods last winter for people it doesn't come out perfect, but if the fit of the sleeve is tight enough it comes out pretty good. If you cut 5 -6 inches off the top of a rod you will really alter the action. Something to think about anyway.