• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod/Reel Combo

I'm getting a new rod/reel combo for my birthday coming up in a couple weeks. I'm looking for my first northern rod. I am looking for something around 7 or 7.5 feet med-heavy with a baitcaster (also a first for me!). I'm looking for some advice on a some sort of combo that would fall around 75$. Any advice would be great, thanks guys.

if its your first bait caster make sure you get one with a thumb bar it was much easier for me than a side bar and don't go too cheap on the reel you will regret in frustration. Abu Garcia make a great reel and not nearly as expensive.

I've used a 7 foot MH Cabela's "Whuppin Stick" for about $20 and have been very pleased with it. I have also used the Ambassador Abu Garcia for several years and have been well pleased with this combination which should be close to your price range. I have switched reels to the Shimano Calcutta which is quite a bit more pricey, but I absolutely love this reel and would never go back.

Baitcaster can be difficult and frustrating at first, so I say try to get something that's better in quality as since it makes the learning curve that much easier.

I have a Shimano Cardiff 400 and it's been reliable paired up with un 6'6" med Ugly stick. Shorter rod is easier to learn from. Sell points for me was thumb bar and nondisengage level wind. Those made learning how to cast easier also.

Only now it's just been paired with a St Croix LT 7'3" H rod.