• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye jigging rod

jigeye

Definitely give the Limit Creek rods a look. I've been jigging with the 6'-9" "Smoothie" for a couple years now and I definitely like it.

When I bought the rod, I went down to Evert's Resort on P4 and was able to compare the Limit Creek rod side by side to a couple similar St Croix Avids. I had my heart set on an Avid when I went to buy the rod, but had heard good things about the Limit Creeks as well. Side by side, the differences are very subtle and I couldn't justify twice the price for an Avid when I had them both in my hands.

6'6" IMX Loomis is the only way to go, I have the light, medium and MH. It is about twice what you wanted to spend but you can't be the warranty policy. They will replace any rod, no questions asked. You have to pay for shipping (10 or 15 bucks). Shimano and Fenwick won't do that for you. I believe St. Crioux does almost the same policy as Loomis but why would you buy one of those inferrior rods. grin.gif

When you go to the store, grab a loomis imx and compare it to anything. The test is to run the tip of rod over a suface with a few light imperfections on it (like the facing of a Northland Fishing sign). Don't press hard on the rod tip, slight pressure and move it slowly. You will feel why one rod is 100 bones and the other is 245. You won't be disappointed.

Walleye71, I hate to correct you, but Shimano has an over the counter return policy, now there has been questions if that was going away. I know that used to bring it to the store you bought it from and they will give you a new one. That is the experience I have had. I love Loomis and St. Croix, but I had to pay $50 to have a St. Croix rod replaced and the rod only costs $120 brand new.

I would go with Shimano or Fenwick for jigging personally. I own all of them and I prefer those brands for jigging sensitivity.

TrophyEyes, I hate to correct you, but not all Shimano rods are over the counter, just the good ones. Did you guys know that Shimano is the parent company of G. Loomis? From what I have been told by people that know is that the Cumara and Crucial rods are Chinese versions of the USA built Loomis blanks. I am guessing here but maybe versions of the GLX and IMX??

Fenwick HMG's and higher are lifetime & from what I understand. I broke mine last year - brought it to Joe's where I bought it, Fenwick send me a brand new rod no questions asked.

Turk: I have a big check coming up in a week or two. Lots of overtime on it. I have looked at some of the rods and think I will buy one.

Note From Admin: Edited - please read forum policy before posting again

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes

I had heard that about Loomis but no one seemed to know for sure. I would think those shimano chinese rods are using the GL3 blanks. If Shimano does own Loomis, they sure don't have any mention of it on either HSOforum.

Shimano does own G.loomis. It's mentioned somewhere in some fine small type face on the HSOforum, somewhere. You'll see it like subdivisions of Shimano and the name G.loomis comes up once.

Many of the Shimano rod blanks are made in China. The G.Loomis blanks are made in USA. Doesn't seem that they share designs at all.

In a way, I suppose any rod can follow a like design process of a higher end rod. It's natural to imitate the leader in the business. However just compare the finishing on those rods. Many of the G.Loomis rods don't appear to have any thick resin coating. They are often finely sanded with a low gloss finish. Blanks are produced in a highly controlled environment. The blanks on the Crucials of 7'+ are a lot larger in diameter compared to a G.Loomis or St.Croix. That sort of hints to me it's a very different scrim from G.Loomis.

I personally haven't seen the Cumara rods. Personally EVA foam grips are a turn off for me. Everything else about the rods sounds very promising.

When I bought my Crucial drop shot rods, I had to isolate half of them as poor finishing. In other words there were some serious finishing flaws like bad cork or exessive epoxy on line guides to even a very different rod bend compared to identical rod. I spend my time looking for the one that's not flawed and it's time consuming going through the entire retail rack.

I'd go through the same process with any St.Croix or G.Loomis rods. But it's like you look for the one that you don't want flawed in some way. In the end, dollar for dollar, seems like the Crucials would get the job done with comparable sensitivity at half the cost. The only set back was that they didn't have nearly the backbone I'd expected for fish control. For walley fishing, it's an enjoyment. For bass fishing, it felt underpowered.

Turk! I broke down and headed over to Moore's Bait and Tackle and picked up a brand new LCS69MLF. Got a really good deal on it too. More than 2/3 of the normal price of $89.00. I will try it out this weekend. But I already can tell it is an excellent well balanced rod. I am looking forward to fishing with it.

Thanks for the tip about them.

Regards;

Uncle Kes