• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shooting through the Ice with a depth finder???

LOWinEYEin

Considering the tons & tons of road salts that find there way onto the ice and into our lakes and rivers each year. A pinch of table salt can't be all that substantial and detrimental?

Or maybe that is what makes them walleyes and perch's eyes bulge out when you drag them up from 50' deep?

High blood pressure must be the deal there Eh?

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-12-2003).]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much consideration, and in my personally totally Unbiased Opinion, I have come to a conclusion.

And that is, there is no such thing as an Unbiased Opinion.

wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-12-2003).]

Can you guys help me out a little? I REALLY don't understand the whole "flasher" thing... How does it show you where things are?? All I can see is a numbered dial like thing...

You know, considering that Vexilar is 2.34 miles from my house, maybe I should just stop in and ask them...

But seriously, am I missing something?

fp

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

What's sort of weird is how flashers are actually showing the swim bladders of fish. The fish is made up of mostly water, the air bladder has a different density. The sound resonates off the swim bladder, showing as fish. The depth the fish are at also effects the bladder of fish, pressure and all. Sort of weird I thought.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

CIBL Thats right. Think of a swim bladder like a drum. A crappie minnow will show up just as well as a half oz jig.

feverpetal where to begin.. Do you want the short version or the long. smile.gif
If your that close to Vex I suggest a road trip also you can visit Vex's web site and get some info. A hands on experience is really what you need.

Well, I've been to the Vexilar and MarCum websites, but They just talk about improvements and capabilities, not what these things actually do. I think I will just go over there.

fp

------------------

The LXi is sweet. It has 2500 watts of power to help shoot through thick layers of ice. It will give you the depth and is great tool for finding structure fast. The thing it won't do is show you fish. A flasher like the Vex or Marcum can actually show you fish right through the ice, if it isn't busted up and layered. I used the LX3 last year and loved it. No noisy whine and excellent target separation.

Ron

------------------
Ron Anlauf's Guide Service http://fishingminnesota.com/ranlauf/ Phone: 320-396-2133

fp,
Go to the Vexilar HSOforum and click on the "Articles and How-To Tips" button on the left. There you will find out just about everything you need to know about flashers. Most of the info you get can be applied to the Marcum as well. I didn't think I needed a flasher until I bought one!

------------------
Wables

Actually, my father apparently has THREE "flashers" in his garage. I'm gonna have to take them out and see which I like best. Also, I was nearly floored when he told me he hadn't gone icefishing in almost twenty years. That means I haven't gone ice fishing in almost twenty years. For some reason, it doens't seem that long.

fp

------------------

So let me get this straight-

I con shoot through the Ice, but I need water contact with the ducer, or I can use the minnow bucket, but must have water contact with the bucket. And so the usual Accuracy is not depleated With all of these applications? Does this sound right? What Am I missing?????

[This message has been edited by WhaTT! (edited 11-14-2003).]

Well as always I was amazed to see all the helpful info on this subject, and got quite a few smiles from the little debates in here. I guess thats what makes this site and our country so great the free and open exchange of ideas and opinions. I was not familiar with the Marcum company but now I will give it a strong look when I make my next purchaces. Thanks to all who contributed, You make it easy to gain good quality information. Thank you all

Ah Frosty, I could'nt have said it better myself. Your statement...."the free and open exchage of ideas and opinions", has always been my favorite thing about this HSOforum, and is what attracted me here in the first place.

In my opinion and thru my observations, there are lots and lots of unbiased opinions and information to be found on this HSOforum, and there always will be.

Welcome to the FM family Frosty....Enjoy!

Best regards....fiskyknut

Whatt,

I haven't tried out the minnow bucket part but yes you're right. Some clear ice, little water then set the puck down. Turn it on. May have to wiggle it a bit to get a strong signal. Or put some more water on the ice.