• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garden Seeds indoors

eurolarva

I see garden seeds all over the metro now. Last year was my first garden and I was amazed at the cost of potted plants such as tomatoes. Are there any recommendations here on when to plant these types of seeds indoors and what kind of lighting is needed so they don't become scrawny and leggy? Is it possible to plant tomato seeds outdoors say by Memorial day and still get a good harvest out of them?

Ok, I've done this since I was in kindergarten playing with plants in January in the south facing window.

If you want tomatoes from seed start them today. Go out the the garden center and get one of those starter trays with the cover. Tomatoes take longer to get big and mature. I would also start peppers right now as well. Try starting some herbs too.

Your vine plants can wait till Mid April. If you want your vines to be huge when planting outside start them now.

Originally Posted By: eurolarva
I see garden seeds all over the metro now. Last year was my first garden and I was amazed at the cost of potted plants such as tomatoes. Are there any recommendations here on when to plant these types of seeds indoors and what kind of lighting is needed so they don't become scrawny and leggy? Is it possible to plant tomato seeds outdoors say by Memorial day and still get a good harvest out of them?

Euro I just got my planters ready I'll be planting Lots Peppers,tomatos,okra,eggplant,flowers & more nows the time.Packs say 6-8 weeks before outside temps ready I think 8-9 weeks.For strong plants DONT water too much after sprouts and in those trays as in last post,Dont water on top! pour water in the tray so plant cells absorbe water from bottom up,also when plants seem to not be getting biger transplant to larger container--Plastic cup with holes in bottom for water from bottom up.

Try BrandyWine tomatos UUMMMM!

Ya could but east & west windows will be fine,and the direct sun can burn small starting plants.Also if you use the trays with clear lids for greenhouse you'll get molds, and if their on and you remove them the small fragile seedlings will wilt and die.So no direct sun after lids removed.if mold appears remove lid TOO much moisture,wipe lid dry and put it back on if plants start to wilt.Experiment next year you'll have a better understanding.

You can by 4 ft long flourescent grow lights that fit in the standard fixture. I have used this set up for tomatoes and peppers many times. One thing that you need to be careful with growing inside is the plant reaching towards the light if the light source isn't sufficient. You tend to get tall, spindly and weak plants.

The comment of watering from the bottom is a good one. You want your root systems to grow down and then out in the pot. Put your seedlings in small pots and then repot as the root balls grow. If the pot is too large you won't get a solid root ball and they will tend to fall apart when you go to plant then.

You will also want to toughen up your plants before you put then in your garden. Start them out outside in an area that is a mix of sum and shade. Do this for a few days. Leave them out for a few hours and them bring them inside. Small plants can get fried by direct sunlight if you put them in the garden without slowly exposing them to the sun.

Good luck.

I've grown several hundred tomato plants indoors using just regular 4' flourescent shop lights not the more expensive grow tubes. Keep the bulbs within 2-3 inches above the plants, more and there's not enough light. To keep plants from getting long and spindly, have a fan blowing on them for an hour or 2 per day to simulate outdoor wind. This causes a process called "thigmomorphogenesis" (cool word) which basically means the plants get stockier instead of long and spindly. Definitely transplant into bigger containers as they grow so the root system can expand. The nice thing about artificial lights is you can leave the lights on for 18-20 hours per day, versus the sun which this time of year is only in your south window for a few hours. One time I had to be gone for almost a week, so I just left the lights on 24 hours and the plants grew like heck.

I am going to pick up some stuff to start my peppers today. I have never done this before, so keep the ideas flowing!

Does anyone use the single seed beds that you can plant the whole thing in the spring? I guess they're biodegradable.

OK, so I just got done planting in the "Kit Greenhouse deals". I planted Habenero, Sorrento, Jalapeno, Chili, etc. I also did some cherry tomato.

Should I be using a lamp over these to heat?

Is your (single seed bed) one tray with no dividers?If so most nurserys use them and will transplant soon after seed sprout,& put them in small cells then to avoid root tangle and damage seperating them.I personally just use a south window,when I plant if I want 6 plants for my garden I'll plant 9-12 and some may not sprout,some may die,if I got too many,neighbors or friends get them,but I keep the strongest.

The fan idea is neat. I am trying to keep costs down so high electricity bills will deter the cost savings of me doing this or buying potted plants. Years ago you used to be able to buy a six pack of tomatoes for a buck now you are lucky to get one for that price. I plant 24 tomato plants and probably 20 to 30 other plants say squash, peppers and such. I am thinking a computer fan ran off a vexilar battery on a timer to give it say 4 hours of wind a day. The only windows I have are north facing so I may have to do the florescent lights. Any idea how much electricity two bulbs would eat up. My guess is about 25 cents a day.

I built a little growing shelf system for my wife a few years ago. It consisted of one of the metal shelve systems you can buy and then I surrounded it completely by 1" white styrofoam with a door that can open. I purchased 3 sets of fluorescent lights and cut holes in the styrofoam so the lights would fit (they were wider than the shelve). I then hung the lights by chains so they could be raised as the plants grew, and had the whole system on a timer. It worked well for our garden.

I started mine with the 72-cell tray and grow lights about a month ago and they've been growing like crazy. I've noticed in the last week or so though, that they've started looking wilted and the leaves are developing a pale yellow hue to them. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Either the clear lid is keeping too much moisture in or your watering too much,I'd remove the lid.

My seed just sprouted in the last 3 days,Tomatos & herbs I uncover them from when they get sunlight till dark then cover for overnight.

Steve, It does sound kind of like over watering. It doesn't hurt to let the soil dry out somewhat between waterings. Sometimes you gotta beat up on those little plants to make them stronger! Another thought: Was the soil mix you used something that already has some nutrients in it? If not, the next time you water them you could use a weak mixture of Miracle grow to give them some fertilizer. Like 1/4 spoon to a gallon of water instead of a whole spoonful like the label says.

I dont fertilize till there outside in the garden,I may use a root developer in the trays but nutirents in planters will slow root growth,then the plants will be slow outside while they develop roots,also less water makes those roots search it out,better root development

I agree about letting them get a little dried out, but not til they get a bit bigger. Like sparcebag said, drying out promotes root growth. Once the plants get bigger and you're checking the moisture level of the soil you'll start to notice them wilting a bit when they get dried out, then you'll know it's time for water. They might also wilt or turn yellow if they are kept soggy for too long. The Tray will be pretty heavy right after you add water, and will get lighter and ligher as it dries out. Sorry if I'm Mastering the Obvious there. :-)

Well, what the heck. I gotta be doing something wrong. Did the 72 cell thing, pulled the cover off about a week after the plants sprouted, have 2 pairs of 4' daylight bulbs about 3 inches off the plants running 12 hours a day, and I've been trying to let them dry out between adding water to the bottom of the tray. They sprouted and grew like weeds for the first few weeks, but now it's like they're dormant, haven't grown at all in about a month and the leaves are pale yellow to white. Anybody been there and figured out the problem?

Quit watering,my plants are the same not yellow tho,their developing roots.I just watered my tomatos for the first time since planting,they were visibly wilting which also strengthens them,I have leaves forming not the seed leaf,when the second set of leaves are on then I'll divide and transplant to larger 3x3 container thats when they'll take off.