• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what day do permanents have to be off the ice?

PmDavis300

Originally Posted By: fisheye
There is a book called 'Fishing Regulations' that is free when you buy your license.

As far as the Fishing regulations book goes, throw it out the window (but do not litter) grin.gif

I trust what I read in that book as much as I trust leaving my debit card at a store and hoping nothing will happen to my account after I go back and pick it up.

I would go on-line to MN DNR if anyone has any questions about regs. They have all current and mid season up date changes on their site.

Look what that "free" book got the guy with the musky. He did come out good in the end, but what a hassle.

This site is a perfect place to ask question's like this and I encourage any one to do so.

Good luck

I like this site as others have said to find a quick answer. Sometimes though I think it is easier to find the answer myself, and know that it is right. The thing that I don't like about this site is that a person gets so many replies without the facts clearly stated...Not that they are wrong, its just that I prefer to know without a doubt what a law or regulation is. But to each his own I guess. Some people may say that they do not trust the regulations book, but if it came down to a CO giving me a ticket I would just show him the book. I always carry a copy in my boat and fishhouse just to clarify any questions that I may have over the course of the season. I am not trying to fuel this debate any more and I am not pointing any fingers, but it took longer to type the above paragraph than it did to find the answer to the above question myself.

Here is what I found...page 61 of the regs book.

Quote:
Shelter Removal Dates

Dark houses, fish houses, and shelters must be off the ice no later than midnight for each of the dates given in the following categories below. Fish houses or shelters on waters north of the line* may remain on the ice between midnight and one hour before sunrise only when occupied or attended.

Border Waters

Minnesota–Iowa Feb. 20

Minnesota–Wisconsin March 1

Minnesota–North and South Dakota March 5

Minnesota–Canada March 31

For inland waters south of the line* Feb. 29

For inland waters north of the line* March 15

*An east-west line formed by U.S. Hwy 10,

east along Hwy 34 to Minnesota Hwy 200, east

along Hwy 200 to U.S. Hwy 2, and east along

Hwy 2 to the Minnesota-Wisconsin border.

DNR Regulations Booklet

DNR reminds anglers to pick up litteras ice fishing shelter removal dates approach (February 12, 2008)

Minnesota’s ice fishing shelter removal dates are fast approaching. Dark houses, fish houses and shelters must be off the ice of inland waters no later than midnight on Feb. 29 in the southern two-thirds of the state and March 15 in the northern third, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

The DNR also reminds anglers to keep waterways clean by picking up litter around their shelters. Litter on lakes tarnishes nature’s beauty, destroys wildlife habitats and ruins many opportunities for recreation. Litter is a misdemeanor with a fine of up to $1,000.

The Feb. 29 removal deadline applies to waters south of a line starting at the Minnesota-North Dakota border near Moorhead along U.S. Highway 10, then east along Highway 34 to Minnesota Highway 200, east along Highway 200 to U.S. Highway 2, and east along Highway 2 to the Minnesota-Wisconsin border near Duluth. The March 15 deadline applies to waters north of that line.

For border waters, the ice shelter removal deadlines are:

· Minnesota - Iowa, Feb. 20

· Minnesota - Wisconsin, March 1

· Minnesota - North Dakota and South Dakota, March 5

· Minnesota - Canada, March 31.

Hope this helps you...

Originally Posted By: fisheye
There is a book called 'Fishing Regulations' that is free when you buy your license. You might want to try reading it.

I was also shocked by this snippy reply, if ya don't like the question asked why bother to reply-----just pass it by

Keeping a regulation book in your house and fishing gear won't help you in explaining to the CO...the regulations change and you have to be aware of them. Look what ignorance nearly did to that Tonka Muskie.

You have to be aware of the rules that were changed and your regulation booklet won't help you there.

Sites like this and the newspaper and magazine will help you with the updates. The DNR HSOforum is also a place i regulary visit...

It will be interesting to see what kind of reply fisheye gets next time he wants any info. I've given info and gotten a lot of info on this site.There are no dumb questions, just some real dumb replies!!! Like fisheyes. Leave the attitude off the sight, if you don't have any good input, as previously stated, don't reply at all. Sorry everyone, that kind of stuff really bug's me. Take care.

Originally Posted By: tisosy11
Keeping a regulation book in your house and fishing gear won't help you in explaining to the CO...the regulations change and you have to be aware of them. Look what ignorance nearly did to that Tonka Muskie.

You have to be aware of the rules that were changed and your regulation booklet won't help you there.

Sites like this and the newspaper and magazine will help you with the updates. The DNR HSOforum is also a place i regulary visit...

I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with you here. To play devil's advocate, not everyone has a computer. Not everyone reads the paper or TV. People shouldn't have to call the DNR before every outting to see if the regs have changed. As far as I'm concerned, a book released by the DNR that reads Fishing Regulations should be the god book.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for changes in the law to help sustane our natural resources. And I can't be bothered on when these laws are passed. What does bother me is when a law is passed and inacted during a current season, making this god book now obsolete.

It's like posting a 55 mph speed limit sign, changing the limit to 45, but leaving the 55 sign up, then ticketing people for going the posted speed. In a sense, the fishing regs book is the posted speed.

So, I'm not saying that you're wrong. I'm more responding to the practices of the DNR when it comes to changing the regs, and suddenly making people ignorant to the new law.

Originally Posted By: hovermn
As far as I'm concerned, a book released by the DNR that reads Fishing Regulations should be the god book.

Sad to say, but also good to say, at one time it was.

Now days, you are not going to get many breaks when it comes to not knowing what the up to date (current) rules are. They made an exception for the Minnetonka musky guy, but if it had happened again, you would be lucky with just a warning and no fish.

It is a fact now-a-days to be a fisherman in MN, you have to keep up on the changes that show up threw out the year, that are not in the regulation book you get when you purchase your license.

To have a book in your tackle box and pull it out (especially after the musky publicity), point out what it says to a CO and expect not to get a ticket is risking a lot. I would find a computer, or better yet if you do not have a computer (how are you reading this) call the DNR head quarters and ask about regulation changes (888-646-6367 or 651-296-6157).

It's a sign of the times, but I hear ya though.

I was just reading through that handy little book that we have been talking about and this may be another dumb question but I was under the impression that if you were in a portable shelter (clam or wheelhouse) that you could still spend the night in it. The rules state that you can use these houses one hour before sunrise until midnight as long as there is an open season. I always thought that you could still spend the night out there searching for some slabs!! Thanks and I hope that I do not get to much guff.