• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Depth Finder holder

eyeballs

The Vexilar "Ultra Pak" has the following options:

Hidden battery storage with on/off switch,
Taller profile, round fits into pail,
Has ice-ducer float holder on top,
Has holder for small stowaway tackle storage.

This baby has it all, sure looks very nice! grin.gif

The new Ultra Pack case is the result of angler, guide/pro, and field test feedback. It is designed to simplify daily use and decrease common on ice complications.

The Ultra Pack offers features like an enclosed 9 amp/hr battery controlled by a master power switch. A Battery Status Indicator comes standard along with a 1/2 amp charger featuring a "charge-done" indicator. Protected charging/accessory posts, universal transducer holder, float holder, improved cable storage, and it even has a fishing rod holder and a Vexilar tackle box that fits securely into its own slot. Check out the picture at the Vexilar web site for a closer look at the details.

The Ultra Pack comes all assembled and ready to rock on fish, and includes either a 12 degree or dual 9/19 degree transducer.

A sweet package, really simplifies the everyday use and maintenance of the ice unit. The slightly higher case is handy too, you get a better angle on the display then with the older short case's.

One aspect that I think fell short was the Genz Box Style Eye Bolt as the rigid mount of choice for the new unit. The old style arm was not perfect but it was more flexible in my opinion. If your apt to use the float or like the Eye Bolt style dangle arm then you should be fine with it.

BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-11-2003).]

Looks like an effective unit. Can one buy the unit minus the actual flasher, to mount their own FL8 or the SLT?

Looks like it'll take up too much space to suit me. Looks as big around as the pro-pack, but a good bit taller. My FL8-SLT is in the round pro-pack, and one of the things I like about that is the battery's easy to get to.

If you're on a multi-day trip and no electricity and have a spare charged battery along (which I do), it's easy to switch them out on the older round pro-pack.

Plus, I've got the zip-on cover with the handle for the pro-pack, which wouldn't work on this baby.

Since I fish mostly out of a portable and keep my gear in it, the combination of compact size and the canvas protective cover work for my limited space and the bouncy ride the gear occasionally gets.

For folks who use the 5-gallon bucket for gear, or who don't worry about rough treatment, looks like just the ticket.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-10-2003).]

Steve I believe The Ultra Pack case is available factory direct? Drop them a call or an E-Mail and see? The first run may be full combo's only, not sure about that yet?

The diameter of the Ultra Pack is smaller then the Pro-Pack, and a bit taller. The battery is very accessible, just pop open the cover and out it comes, very easy to do. You charge the unit right from the front accessory post so unless you need to swap batteries it stays in it's protective enclosure. The case is very durable and with the enclosed battery system it keeps the battery warmer and lessens the need for the added cover. The sharper displays on the new units also helps, less need to be recessed to be seen well. A cover would still be nice? I suspect one may be available down the line if the demand is there for it? They believe the configuration of the Ultra Pack will not need any further protection. Time and angler feedback will tell on that I guess?

From what I have seen it is more durable then the old Pro Pack and far easier to work with. What struck me at first is everything you need is easy to get at and store again quickly. I really like the added height of the unit too. The weight is balanced far better and it resists things like sliding into the hole and plain ol caries nicer. Ya know how the Pro Pac was so one sidled heavy, they cured that with the center protected battery enclosure.

Feedback from the pool of folks who tested it last winter was the tool they used to iron out bugs and get added features built into the Ultra Pack. Lots of tips, lots of brain farts from Guide/Pros wink.gif, the Ultra Pack is the result of that pooling of feedback.

Steve if anyone can break it, I will Eh. I think once you got a chance to tinker with one you would like it?

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

I looked it up on the vexilar HSOforum and they had it forsale for $59.00.
Heres what it said; "Ultra Carrying Case. Includes Battery Indicator, Tackle Box, and Rod Holder."

------------------
Fish ON!

Honestly, I thought it would be far higher then that. Mostly because it has a lot built into it, and that it is a 1st year run of a new product.

My old Pro Packs I had modified to include many of the new features on the New Ultra Pack. I could conservatively say I had $50 into that before I was done. Most likely far more when you count in all that brain fart time to get the modifications to work. So $49 is not all that bad in my view.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>