• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dumb question that I need answered?

Bigtime22

I am going up to Gull this upcoming weekend with the wife, I want to sneak out and try to pull up some crappies. Is there anything that I should be worried about with DNR, if I accidently pull up a walleye I can release it and have no consequence correct? I do realize that I cant fish for these species, but what happens if one is pulled up accidentally? Thanks for your help.

No such thing as a dumb question when it comes to clarifying a regulation question.All kinds of game fish get caught on panfish and perch tackle, after the regular season closes.The late ice season is fast approaching. All fish will be on the move,and putting on the feedbag.Immediate release of caught gamefish, as was already posted, will be the thing to do to be legal.

A DNR officer told a friend of mine with regards to closed season fish that if what you're throwing catches more than a couple non-targeted fish to change it up. This was in regards to catching smallies while fishing for trout. I don't think I would worry about it too much though.

Originally Posted By: Dan189
How about going after jumbo perch and "accidentally" pulling up eyes?

This is what is was thinking also.

For perch up on ML, I would be dropping smaller buckshot spoons, so the possibility for an EYE is good. However on a local bowl lake to be throwing down the same tackle would seem kind of rediculous. I would imagine the CO might think the same thing...it might depend on the lake your are fishing.

Dan189,welcome to fishingminnesota.com. \:\)

I would think most CO's are going to use reasonable discretion as to how blatant a fisherperson's tackle or presentation is before they start writing a ticket for catching a specific species out of season.Like already mentioned,it really depends on which body of water the fish is/are being caught on.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. On many lakes you can find walleyes and crappies over the same spots/water and catching one while in pursuit of the other.

I have another question to add: I am taking my son fishing for perch on Mille Lacs on Friday and if he were to catch a walleye, would it be legal to take a photo of him with it?? I think the regulations say "release immediately"??

I know at least for slot fish in season it has been made OK as of last year to snap a photo and release. I am not sure if that includes out of season or not. Of course if the DNR sees your camera has several walleye shots on it from after the season you're in trouble. One may slide.

Provisions are now in place in the regulations to allow you to snap a photo of an "immediate release" fish. I caught a five pound bass on a 1/16 oz. flu-flu last year fishing for early spring crappies. You bet your jigging stick I got a picture of it before it hit the water.

This was always the source of heated discussions on the forums before. The way it was worded before you couldn't even snap a photo of a muskie you caught because the regs said "immediate release".

Originally Posted By: Dan189
How about going after jumbo perch and "accidentally" pulling up eyes?

While perch fishing last March on Mille Lacs we were really hammering the perch and the 3 of us caught about 4 walleyes. What do you do. Throw them back down the hole and catch some more perch!