• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon Spotting Scope?

BLACKJACK

My wife was nice enough to buy me a Nikon Spotting scope for my birthday, its a Nikon ProStaff 16-48x65 Outfit - Team RealTree Camo Straight Body.

What has been your experience with Nikon scopes?

Is the 65mm objective big enough or should I upgrade to the 85mm?

I've always had my heart set on upgrading to a Swarovski or a Zeiss, will I be happy with this scope?

My current cheap spotting scope spends most of its time sitting on a tripod by my living room windown where I use it to scope out ducks on the pond or deer. I want to be able to pull in ducks and deer 1/4 mile away. This scope is a definate upgrade but I'm debating whether I should spend the extra $800 to move up to the Swarovski or Zeiss - what do you think?

Where are you using it? Do you hunt out west ever? Is so then it might be worth it. That said this fall we were glassing elk from 3 miles away with the spotter that you mentioned and it worked just fine. They always say spend as much as you can afford. I personally like Leopold better than Nikon in that range of scopes. I have never looked through a Swarovski or Zeiss because I just don't feel it is justifiable for me.

Quick update on this, a friend of mine stopped by last weekend, hes got a Swarovski scope. We set them up side by side and looked at different things both close and far away. His might have a littttttle bit more clarity at long range, but not much, not $1000 worth, which is what an upgrade to a Swarovski would cost, so I'm keeping the Nikon.

Looking forward to when the spring birds and ducks start returning to really be able to zoom in on them!!