• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR, OHV user groups developing trail ambassador program.

Da Beak

From the DNR's HSOforum.

News Releases

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DNR, OHV user groups developing trail ambassador program (February 19, 2008)

In the depths of winter, the majority of outdoor activities may seem far off, but plans to get a trail ambassador program off the ground in Minnesota by spring are well underway, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

The 2007 Minnesota Legislature passed legislation last year establishing an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Safety and Conservation Program and Advisory Council. The DNR divisions of enforcement, trails and waterways, and forestry, with input from OHV user groups, are working to develop the Minnesota DNR Volunteer Trail Ambassador Program. The two-year initiative will provide $250,000 each year in grants to qualifying organizations to assist in safety, environmental education and monitoring trails on public lands.

“We have researched OHV safety/trail programs and information from more than six other states and a variety of other national and nonprofit organizations, taking action to protect recreation access and opportunities in the outdoors through education and stewardship initiatives,” said 2nd Lt. Leland Owens, DNR Enforcement recreational vehicle coordinator. “We’ve concluded that a trail ambassador type program is the best use of these funds to promote safe, environmentally responsible operation of OHVs.”

OHVs include all-terrain vehicles, off-highway motorcycles and off-road vehicles such as four-wheel-drive trucks.

Owens said Minnesotans love the outdoors and recreation trails are a very important to them because trails let people experience nature first hand. He said a trail ambassador program would promote safe, environmentally responsible operation of OHV’s through informational and educational contacts, and monitoring efforts of qualified, trained volunteers.

An Off-Highway Vehicle Safety Advisory Council, which is a part of the program, has been appointed by DNR Commissioner Mark Holsten. Advisory Council meeting guidelines are being developed. Work is also underway on a training outline for the volunteer individuals and organizations.

“We are currently finishing up work on specific proficiency principles for volunteers covering procedures, processes and equipment,” Owens said.

A Volunteer Trail Ambassador Handbook that contains the history, purpose, goals, policies and guidelines of the OHV Safety and Conservation program is also close to completion, as well as a manual for grant fund disbursement procedures.

“We plan to announce the implementation of the program and start accepting grant applications from interested, qualified volunteer organizations some time in March,” Owens said.

He said volunteers will play an important role in the success of the trail ambassador program.

“Volunteers and volunteer organizations provide the face of any initiative, no more so than with a trail ambassador program aimed at motorized recreationalists contributing toward preserving Minnesota’s natural resources for future generations,” Owens said. “A true win-win situation.”

Statewide ambassador volunteer training is scheduled for late February and March. The first fully qualified and trained ambassadors will start working trails in May.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
Can someone smarter than me put this into terms, and into maybe one paragraph?

I thought these "teams" were established about 5-6 years ago??? confused.gif

I agree. They keep these things vague for a reason. They know there will be some people who won't like it, so they give little bits and pieces here and there, then drop the bomb on everyone when it's ready to roll.

Being an instructor with the MN DNR, I'm frustrated that this wasn't communicated to me more in depth. I wouldn't mind being out on the trails in the summer patrolling, but the DNR will only be able to rely on volunteers for so long before it gets too expensive for people to travel to a designated trail each weekend.

I volunteer my fair share of time to the DNR and at some point, it would be nice to have the opportunity to be compensated for what I do.