• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stamped Concrete vs Pavers

jjohnson5150

I'm looking at making a 16' x 20' patio behind our garage. Does anyone have an opinion on how stamped concrete holds up in our climate? I've talked to a friend about it who just moved from Reno. He said all stamped concrete slabs he saw out there cracked over a short period of time. I'd be willing to build the patio out of pavers, but I really like the clean look of stamped concrete. I just don't want the cracks in a few years. Any opinions either way?

I also have a patio to do and was going to go with pavers but am looking at going with exposed concrete. Any advice. Mine is a walk out. I was thinking of cutting it into 3x3 or 4x4 squares too reduce the stress cracks. Is there any tricks to doing the exposed or specifically on cutting the expansion joints. I doo have a very experienced friend that will be supervising. Thanks Said patio will be about 20 x 25

It all depends on how they are done. If anyone who knows what they are doing does either they will both last a long time. Both handle great in our MN climate. You wont have to worry about the life span of either one. Just make sure you go with someone experienced to do the install. A proper base both is critical to ensuring the life span of your pavers or stamped concrete. If they are done right you wont have to worry about any cracking.

With that said its just up to what you find more appealing. Stamped concrete should be a bit cheaper that pavers. Personally, I am an eco-friendly guy so I would go with a porous paving system. I also find the the porous pavers very attractive.

I am a retire union bricklayer been in the biz all my life, I am going to tell you that all concrete is going to crack. The trick is to put in lots of cuts to keep the crack from opening up and being to noticeable. After you pour your slab make sure you cut it the next day. Make your relief cuts at least an 1" deep that way it is more likely to break there, thus not being as noticeable. I do not trust fiber mesh in my crete that is why I always use mesh.

All concrete will crack. If done right, you will have no probelms. The cracks will be in the joints! There's alot of reasons concrete cracks outside the joints, its not the actual concrete usually, its the way it was installed.

Stamped will look nicer, especially if you used colored concrete. Make sure you seal the conrete as well. Also make sure you use air entrained concrete, and it will hold up just fine here in MN. As far as crack control, a good compacted base will help prevent cracks and sawcutting joints the next day, as mentioned, will dictate where the cracks should go. Go at least an inch deep on 4" concrete and you will be fine. Fiber mesh works good, but rebar or wire mesh will definitely work. Make sure you get some rebar in the corners and edges of the slab. If not comfortable doing this yourself, find someone with experience and you won't regret paying for it.

one VERY important thing to concider is WATER. A good slope away from buildings isn't enough. The water has to soak in somewhere. With concrete it usually drains in one direction so you then have a huge amout of water trying to soak into one area. With pavers, the water and soakage is dispersed quite evenly.

IMO - stamped concrete is nice and has some benifits. But for me pavers ( when done correctly ) is much more esticlly pleasing and more durable.

I've layed ALOT of paver patios, and doing it correctly is a must. Its physically hard, but the technics and directions are simply to follow.

This was my specialty in my landscaping buisness, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

I'm not sure where the original poster is from, but if he ever gets a chance to head up to Pine City.... \:D .... there's a strip mall there where they tore out some raised beds about 5 years ago now.

They filled in the spots with a stamped colored concrete. I only mention here (also there's a large bank on the SW corner of 35 and HWY 95 in North Branch where they did the entire sidewalk outside and heated it) because I know for a fact they used skidsteers to clear the sidewalk.

It still looks as good as the first day they did it.

I do the summer maintenance for the property and asked the property manager how much it cost, but he wouldn't give me a straight answer, only that they did it there to see how it would hold up for a period of years..... crazy.gif

So, I'm sure it's like pavers. If done correctly, it's not going to be cheap, unless you're doing it yourself.

A stamped slab will hold up very well in this climate, if maintained correctly. A patio slab is typically not shoveled off in the winter reducing the number of freeze thaw cycles that the slab is subjected to. The slab will need to be sealed. I would recommend a surface sealer that makes the concrete have a wet look, it will bring out contour changes.

If you go with plain concrete you can still add color because the stamps need a release agent which comes in many colors, that would give a nice accent.

I have been doing concrete work for 10 years now and stamped for the last 7. When sloping your slab away from the house you will need more pitch than a regular patio because of the stamping and texture of the stamp. Strong quarter bubble should be enough. Hand cuts also look very nice on a stamped patio but will be more expensive due to more labor. Saw cuts should be done the next day and a leaf blower should be used to blow out the dust in the cuts. Super Diamond Clear should be used for your sealer. Use a paint roller with a long handle to apply and make sure concrete is free of dirt, leaves and anything else. Any questions send me an e-mail.

Thanks.

Is it really slippery or not? Is it expensive compared to others? I have heard that anything is high at Plaisted's. If it is, do you think it's worth it?

I have something about 14x30 to do.

Is it worth putting inside a garage also? I was thinking about the epoxy stuff for that, but not sure yet.