• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

February cactus flowers

No, I didn't travel to Arizona (worse luck!)

These were shot in my home today using natural light and reflectors. Guess the cactus thought February was the right time to spring forth.

All with the Canon 30D, Canon 100 macro, iso100 from a tripod with remote shutter release. The flowers, when open are a big bigger than a pencil eraser.

1/13 at f11

tight-inside.jpg

2 sec at f32

deep-loose.jpg

1/50 at f4 (colors slightly cooled and desaturated to further soften the look)

side-tight.jpg

Steve,

I find #2 absolutley facinating. I like how that black background makes the colors pop. I had one of these catci, but when I forgot it next to a window, it was too cold, becuase not is almost dead. It some tiny blooms on it but they look pretty unhealthy.

Thanks, everybody.

Happy birthday, BTW, Mike. I also like the third one best. Lots of macro folks abbreviate things SOA and DOA (shallow on arrival and deep on arrival) based on the photographer's preference for shallow depth of focus or deep depth of focus.

I usually lean toward the SOA myself, because I like the statements of color and texture it allows, but not always. grin.gifgrin.gif

Very cool work Steve! All this tech talk! Boy, Ive got a lot to learn! Not to be repetative, but im crazy about shot two. The blossom is wonderful, but I also love the thorns and the little white hairs around them. They really catch the light.

Thanks for the birthday wish Steve. I was just looking again at those and it's amazing how shallow you can get your depth of field in macro work isn't it. I mean, look at that 3rd shot, the only thing in focus is the tips of the flowers. Unless you did a lot of blurring in pp that is really really shallow. I just think that's cool.

Very nice work as usual Steve.

Thanks, Mike.

I lassoed the three in-focus points and applied very light sharpening, then selected inverse and ran noise reduction on the background but no gaussian blur. That's the most I wanted to do on it.

The bloom was only a few inches in front of the front of the lens, and at f4 from that distance, DOF is just a SLIVER! I experimented on that shot from f2.8 to f11, but it was the f4 image that delivered the right combination of sharp edges and blurred foreground and background.