• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Introducing Dead Birds to Puppy???

zrmo440

I was reading a puppy training book, and it suggested using dead Doves to get the puppy "birdy". Is this necessary and where would I go about getting some dead birds or pheasants? I have a 4 1/2 month old chocolate lab. I did buy pheasant wings for him to play with. This is my first go around training a retriever, lots to learn, but tons of fun! Thanks.

If your training for ducks dead is fine. For upland you need Live birds in my opinion by that age. Inter lock their wings or clip them so you can reuse them. Live birds, live birds and more live birds will make a bird dog. If you look in the training materials thread at top it tells were you can find birds.

cw

I have limited experience - but let me share my story. We introduced Maynard (my Springer) to a clip wing pigeon at about 5 months - and it was like someone flipped a switch. He chased it around (he's always been a little cautious) then finally grabbed it and drug it back to me.

I did make a difference.

Get some live pigeons or chukar and put a tie wrap around the base of the wings (in the up position). Let em loose and let the pup go after em'. I would do this at a young also...no need to wait for the pup to be 4 months old.

Don't use Pheasants for this.

I watched some 9-10 week old pups go nuts on a pigeon with clipped wings......it was fun to see a whole group of little puppies chasing the bird!

Sun. morning in Hutch there is a bird trade/sale at the fair grounds. I'm going to try to check it out this weekend. I've never been so I don't really know how much stuff they get there.

CW

Try reading

Gun Dog by Richard Wolters

Best way to Train your Gun Dog

Delmar Smith Method

by Bill Tarrant

I would use some Quail, or some pigeons hobbled..

if you have a pointer put a wing on the end of a string, put it on the old fishing pole, and practice getting the dog to point..

Find yourself someone nearby who races pidgeons. Shouldn't be hard to find with an internet search. These folks with racing pidgeons have many surplus birds and are willing to get rid of them at little to no cost. I did this with a couple labs - there is no substitute to training dogs what this "hunting thing" is all about than live birds. At a young age let him chase around live birds with a clipped or taped wing. When you are sure he is accustomed to a shotgun blast, have someone release live pidgeons and shoot them - this is a controlled situation which quickly teaches the dog what this is all about.